I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for preformed cigar cork grips
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.139.6.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:31AM

I am looking for options for a preformed cigar cork grip for a fly rod. most "cigar" designs, like the one illustrated for struble online, are symmetrical, with the thickest, bulge, in the middle, seemingly tapering slightly smaller towards each opposite end. anglers workshop offers two versions of a slightly different version of cigar.

i am looking for a different kind of "cigar" and may have found what i want at REC's web site. this "cigar" has a front end which looks like a torpedo, or a submarine, with the main body of the grip straight. near the rear, it flares out a bit. i'm just wondering, mainly out of curiousity since i've been wanting to buy from REC for awhile, if there are other companies out there which offer similarly styled cigar grips. if i was turning my own grips, i would want the front end of the REC cigar, but have the rear taper down towards the reel seat, narrow at the rear.

thanks.

eric
fresno, ca.
(the eventuality of buying a mini lathe is hitting home more and more lately ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for preformed cigar cork grips
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 10:58AM

I haven't seen any that look like the REC on any other website. Before I ordered any, I would ask them to verify that that is the shape you would get. The cigar grips that seem to be available in these "modern" times are really just a half wells without the indentation at the rear and are not shaped like the cigar grips of 20 or 30 years ago.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 11:27AM

Eric,
we use the grip you are referencing from REC. It is a very good grade of cork and the photo depicts the actual product very well.

Todd R. Vivian

Lamiglas, Inc.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:07PM

The shape you describe would make a great grip. Let me know if you find a source. The Fenwick is about as close as you can currently come. You could turn down the front knob by hand.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.15.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:29PM

Eric
If you have a drill you can turn your own! Glue the rings together. When dry, reem to fit a ( stiff ) scrap blank section. Stick in the drill. Lay the other end on even a box with a v cut in it. Cork is easy to turn

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 01:12PM

bill, don, todd and gerry (so far :-)...

some of my thoughts include taking a full wells grip and turning the rear section down so it tapers to the reel seat. there is also another shape called a half wells (modifed wells/western?) and i think the fenwick would work equally well. just thoughts running through my mind. these would be for small stream rods, 7-8 foot, and the idea started from a friend's need as a development from tendinitis, but i think it not only looks classic, but could be very cofortable for many people, with or without problems. i'm new to flyfishing so have only been used to seeing what is being pushed these days for fly grips, not familiar as i should be with classic shapes.

i just ran into reference of the "Ritz grip" which is where i got the idea of the rear taper back towards the reel seat.

as i've mentioned before, i might be buying a jet mini lathe earlier than expected, but yeah bill, i'm also thinking of using a spare piece of blank or ordering andy dear's mandrel(s) and using my cordless drill, held by a friend, and supported in some quick way on the other end for adjusting preformed grips. someone gave me the idea of buying oreformed grips in the full wells shape the largest, and working from there for any shape. i should attribute it to who first suggested it (form rodbuildes.org?) but it sounds great.

all of this of course, is just a bandaid for what i should REALLY do, and that's to begin gluing up my own cork rings. start t finish, my own cork fly grips.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 04, 2005 01:33PM

Eric,
it is the small stream series "Applachian Travel" that we use these on and they are sweet.

Todd

Posted by: Ray Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 03:00PM

I started turning all of my grips recently. All I do is glue the rings up w/ rod bond on a piece of 1/4" threaded bar stock I bought at the hardware store. The next day I'll chuck it into an electric drill I got at a garage sale for $5, and sand away. The wax applied to the bar usually keeps the cork from spinning. If not, just lock in place w/ nuts on each end. On the first few grips I turned, I just braced the threaded bar with a box w/ v-notches and a pile of old text books to hold up the drill (make sure its level), and it worked fine, just be careful not to bend the bar. Now I have a cork lathe/wrapper that I built out of scrap wood and cheap rollerblade wheels off @#$%&. The new setup is much more stable, and was easy to build. I pretty much copied a picture of a wrapper I saw on the pic page with stuff lying around my garage. Turn em' yourself! I think its the funnest part. Throw in some burl rings, or do some checkers or diamonds, cork inserts, butts.....its addictive.

Hope this helps
Ray

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.207.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 03:29PM

todd... your email address is hidden. can i send you two small, virus-free jpegs to compare grips? thanks

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 04, 2005 03:54PM

Eric, it's

todd@lamiglas.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster