I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Educational rod building
Posted by: Chuck Brennan (62.132.1.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:31PM

My question is about the national rod show in North Carolina. Is this good for a beginner? I have only built about 4 rods in the last two years but would like to learn more. Is this the type of event where a person can learn and hone their skills? Or is it just a place to see new products? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Educational rod building
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:08PM

Chuck,

There is no place on earth where you could see, in one weekend, as much rod building related product as you can see in Charlotte on February 26th and 27th. So it certainly is a place to see all sorts of rod building products and tools. But it's also much, much more than that.

If you'll look at the top of this board for the announcement labeled, "The National Rod Builders' Show" you can find a list of some 25 seminars and demonstrations that will be presented at this year's event. You simply cannot find this amount, breadth, scope or quality of rod building information at any other rod building seminar, show, event, etc. In fact, you won't likely be able to take it all in, but then you shouldn't try to. A beginner such as yourself should pick and choose those seminars and demonstrations that you feel will aid you the most at your current level of rod building. In addition to two basic seminars on general rod building, there are a ton of other topics being presented. At least several of these are almost certain to be "up your alley."

Along with this truly outstanding educational rod building opportunity, is another more subtle one - the ability to meet and talk with other rod builders. Because so many rod builders converge on Charlotte, you'll be able to discuss rod building ideas and topics with builders from around the world. No where else will you be able to meet and talk with so many other builders with all manner of experience and talent.

Use your time wisely and I think you'll find that the National Rod Builders' Show can put you farther down the road in one weekend than the next 10 years working on your own will.

Re: Educational rod building
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:44PM

Chuck, I have to agree with Tom on this. I've been building for a long time and up until a year ago when I stumbled across this place, I honestly thought that I was among a small handfull of people who did this.

I'm very good at what I do. But a lot of what I know was gained through trial and error. I didn't know there were books out there on the subject. They simply aren't advertised very widely. I've always seen a couple here and there in my catalogs but never paid them no mind. What were they gonna do, teach me something I already knew?? However just from this board, the friends I've met here, Rodmaker magazine, and the photo board, I learned things... a lot of things... things I didn't consider.. that helped me a lot. I've been building for over 20 years and I can honestly admit that I'm on the bottom end of the learning scale.

There are still a lot of things that I want to learn, or at least learn a better way to do what I do, or just see things done to help me visualize. I'm very annoyed that I can't make this show. With the folks doing demonstrations and just all the brain picking you can do mingling with other folks, it's gonna be a treasure trove of education. If you can make the show, I'd urge you to go. There are gonna be a lot of people there that I would LOVE to chat with for just 5 minutes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster