I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP Varathane Diamond vs Gudebrod 811 head to head
Posted by: Scott Jungdahl (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:06PM

Thread - Gudebrod goldenrod (deep yellow) size A
Finish - Perma Gloss (cause it's easy)

Method -
First coat of both thinned about 10 - 20%
second and third coats of both full strength - pushed into thread - excess wiped off.

I'm sure most of you know the outcome - Gudebrod hands down.

The search continues.
Any other suggestions out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP Varathane Diamond vs Gudebrod 811 head to head
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:11PM

My suggestion would be to stick with the winner!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 03:11PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:41PM

Scott. Have you tried Klass Kote epoxy paint? I am currently trying the satin finish. Curiously, my protocol is very close to yours. Have you tried using a palette knife for the 2nd application? I gave up on Permagloss due to the smell.

Date: February 03, 2005 04:20PM

Don,
Klass Kote as a CP or as a replacement for Perma Gloss?

I use stiff artist brushes for CP
For finishing I have used a few things but for Perma Gloss I also use stiff artist brushes of different sizes and shapes.

BTW - the coolest thing about spiral wraps is the way it looks turning slow on a rod wrapping lathe.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 05:02PM

Although your post said "CP", it sounded like you were completely finishing the wraps. K-K will darken the thread considerably, and might make the yellow thread go splotchy if used as the only CP. On darker threads, it give me results superior to varnish, which it resembles in consistency. I think a palette knife, when used to remove excess mixture, might level the threads better than a brush can.

Date: February 03, 2005 05:27PM

I did completely finish the wraps - with Perma Gloss.
I haven't tried a pallete knife with the thinner finishes. You use a palette knife for Perma Gloss?
I'll have to try it.

I made a tool rest for my rod lathe - I think this had been the best aide for a level finish.

How does the Klass Kote compare to Perma Gloss as a finish? What are the pros and cons?

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 03, 2005 05:57PM

Scott. I was surprised that a thin plastic palette knife (Michael's) applies varnishes and K-K so well, even as thin as the mixtures are. I feel the palette knife has the potential to level the finish just at the top of the threads before that last coat. I use a foam brush for the last coat. It has been a long time since I last tried Permagloss, the smell just about knocked me out! The K-K is 2 part, so must be mixed, but the smell is much, much, less. You can use it in a hotel room. The K-K has a pot life of hours and dries clear and hard. No bubbles (at least to the naked eye). Thin as a varnish, but I use the reducer to thin about 10% for the 1st coat. I am trying the satin catalyst, which is pretty milky in the pot compared to the gloss. I will post my results. I like K-K better than any varnish I have tried because it covers in 2 (unthinned) to 3 (1st coat thinned) coats. I am also experimenting with damar varnish or linseed oil as a 1st coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster