I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond Black?
Posted by: Joe Milligan (---.nas6.tucson1.az.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:09PM

Is there an easy way to color Rod Bond during mixing without affecting it's properties? If so what proportion of color works best?

Joe Milligan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond Black?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:26PM

I've done it twice with black enamel Testor's (flat black once, gloss black once). Just like marbling, I add pretty much a drop of the paint pigment at a time, not the paint itself, and stir it up until the black color is uniform. It doesn't take much, Joe.

Putter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 02:28PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:43PM

I am currently repairing a reel seat by using this method. I also used Testors (gloss black) and added three drops of pigment. It mixed well and colored the Rod Bond a nice black color. I did notice in this experiment that when I sanded the tinted Rod Bond it turned a faded black to dark grey color. I believe once it is sanded and I apply a black coat of epoxy it will look better... but I am not there yet. As far as the repair job the Rod bond is holding firmly to the broken trigger but the rod bond section that is shaped to form a trigger is very flexible out by the tip. I think if I do it again I would add something to the Rod Bond to make it more firm (maybe small pieces of wood or metal). Also I am finding it very diffecult to sand it to a very smooth form. I will post pictures (if it turns out decent) on the photo page.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:00PM

next time check out mudhole and use one of there stronger epoxies

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:13PM

Bill,

What's stronger than Rod Bond??

Mike

Date: February 03, 2005 03:17PM

Mike
It's not / or maybe is... stronger, but when it's completely cured, it's stiffer in composition. That's what Bill's meaning. I've got some 2 part epoxy glues (from my cousin in airline maintenance) that are nearly metal-like when they're set up.

I use this to repair spinning reels with broken reel feet (broken between the body of the reel and the reel foot). I haven't tried putting any Testor's in it yet, though...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt6.phl1.da.uu.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:25PM

Don't get me wrong, rod bond is strong, but for a triger you want some thing Stiff. Then again if you put a small screw into the broke part, grind if needed, then rod bond, Maybe it will be stiff??

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:33PM

Bill,
I wasn't doubting you. Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant what brand/type. Putter, are you talking about something like J B Weld? You can drill and tap that stuff and I don't see why a little pigment wouldn't work in it.. I used it on a cracked 50hp Johnson lower unit years ago, ground it down and it was still holding fine 6 years later when I sold it

Date: February 03, 2005 03:38PM

There are several on mudholes site. Under All Epoxies

Posted by: RIch Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:54PM

You could also take a black graphite foam arbor and sand it down to a fine dust. Mix the black dust with rod bond to darken it. I would limit the amount of dust you add so that the rod bond keeps a good useable paste consistency.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: February 03, 2005 04:03PM

The dust will probably stiffen the rod bond also Good idea

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:14PM

PC-7 is one of the more common 'hard' epoxies. Mud Hole carries that one and another called A-4 Metal Set epoxy. I use the A-4 on most of my unibutt ferrules. The A-4 will set in 1-2 hours. Great stuff. It is gray, but I'm sure could be colored.

Jay

Date: February 03, 2005 04:34PM

Yes, Mike, this stuff is similar to JB. Maybe the same, but I'd be willing to bet the airlines pay US Government-like prices for the stuff. It's a super strong adhesive, though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster