I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Source for rod blank pieces?
Posted by: Steve Pierson (---.boi.fiberpipe.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:51PM

I have an old Lamiglas graphite 5'4" bass blank - designed to be inserted into a pistol grip handle. I want to extend it to about 6' before building a spinning rod on the blank. Where can I get some oversize blank sections to make a sleeve to go over the butt end of the blank? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 11:41AM by Steve Pierson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Source for rod blank pieces?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 01:20PM

Steve, by the time you pay for this (if anyone has it) and for the shipping, it gets spendy. I've just been in the habit of buying a new, inexpensive rod at one of the local .marts and use it; the rest of the rod is great for repairs, too.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 01:31PM

Putter is right. But if you plan on doing this often and want to pick up some cheap blanks to cut up try Mudhole's unsanded and Schrider's rod shop has 2003 forecast imports

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 01:37PM

At one time Sharon at AllStar would ship, upon request, a bundle of scrap rod pieces. Not sure if it is still available but I've been using it for several years now.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 01:39PM

You might also check with local tackle shops and the "marts". many will be glad to give you broken rods. Flea markets, garage sales also! I belong to a fishing club and seem to have become the primary recycler for old, broken stuff.

Mike

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.clintn01.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 05:51PM

I just put a bunch of broken rods in the dumpster, let me know how large you need and as long as I have what you need, I'll send you one.

Bruce Vetre
vetrerods@comcast.net

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:38PM

Bruce, shame on you. Old rods can be used for extensions, repairs and for making cork reamers. I never throw away an old rod, and sometimes I go to garage sales, yard sales and flea markets looking for old rods. They can also be rebuilt and donated to kid's fishing programs, and I'm sure that there are other uses for old fishing rods. Bob Vasko

Date: February 03, 2005 10:31PM

Bob, thanks for your suggestions, but of course I agree that all these things can be done. We even gave them away as tomato plant stakes. However, the rods we throw away are beyond repair to use as fishing rods, so the rods we donate are usually brand new. We even teach rod building to the local Boy Scout troop and the guides from those broken rods come in handy.

My attention was not to offend anyone. I agree that it's a shame, that's why I was willing to help Stephen rather than see them go to waste.

Bruce Vetre

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:12PM

I have written several people, that I saw were selling take off guides and parts on @#$%&. I don't know what it is, but they don't want to fool with them. They just throw them away. I even offered to pay the shipping if they would save them for me. They said it just wasn't worth their time to box them up and send them.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 01:25AM

I should add that I've used up all old, broken ones long ago. I do ask friends for broken ones; sometimes they come through for me. I've really been asking lately- trying to make some sample marbles for Charlotte and have exhausted 16" pieces with a large enough diameter to do this on. Back to the mart, I guess...

Date: February 04, 2005 09:44AM

Randy, I'll send you some 16" lengths if you want. You'll have to tell me how large a diameter though. Most of the rods blanks are in the .400-.500 range. I might have a solid glass boat blank with a larger O.D., but that one I'm not sure. You can email me with the details if works for you.

Bruce Vetre
vetrerods@comcast.net

Posted by: Derek L. McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 09:48AM

I am ALWAYS looking for broken rods and tear-off guides myself for rebuilding and refurbishing my existing rods. I am also somewhat infamous for using whatever is laying around the house to complete these projects "kitchen sink" style.

It is curious to me that so many people out there have such things laying around collecting dust when they can be redistributed and given a new lease on life. I converted an old rock tumbler set to a batch polisher for large numbers of old, tear-off stainless steel guides that have a little rash. It does an amazing job of making them look nearly new.

Hmmm......I wonder if you can powder coat guides?

Derek
NorCal

Date: February 04, 2005 11:49AM

Bruce Vetre - Thank you. I will measure the rod blank over the weekend and send you the dimensions by e-mail. I will gladly compensate you for the rod sections and postage and your time and effort. Thanks again.

Steve Pierson

Date: February 04, 2005 11:49AM

Bruce Vetre - Thank you. I will measure the rod blank over the weekend and send you the dimensions by e-mail. I will gladly compensate you for the rod sections and postage and your time and effort. Thanks again.

Steve Pierson

Date: February 04, 2005 11:50AM

Steve Pierson

Date: February 04, 2005 11:50AM

Steve Pierson

Date: February 04, 2005 11:58AM

DOH - Kept getting an error message - didn't know the message would post each time anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 11:58AM by Steve Pierson.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:39AM

There is an outfit here in MN that sells all sorts of 2nds and scrap butt ends and such, pretty cheap too. It is called Wild River Distributing and it is in a town called Marine on the St Croix. I don't know if it kosher to give all the contact info so I won't, but a dexonline search for it should give you a phone number and address.

Scott

Posted by: bruce vetre (---.clintn01.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:24PM

Steve your welcome. Please just email me with the size you need. I have some pieces going out and I want to make sure you get the piece you need.

Bruce Vetre
VRC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster