I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inexpensive blanks for a beginner
Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:30PM

Hello all

My buddy and I are just getting started building rods and we want to purchase some inexpensive blanks to learn on. For now, we'd like to start off trying to build some ultra light spinning rods before moving into fly rods and heavy weight tuna rods (unless you experts suggest otherwise). My question is where can we get decent blanks for cheap so that we can start this process. I don't really want to start off by messing up a beautiful Sage or Thomas & Thomas blank, unless I got them for a steal. Also do you have any suggestions as to what sites/stores are best to purchase accessories such as guides, thread, etc? We've come by www.mudhole.com but what other places are out there?

Thanks
Sam

PS Sorry for the repost however I had to recreate my account and the other post got deleted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inexpensive blanks for a beginner
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.AS.YSU.EDU)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:42PM

Go after a Batson Forecast blank. If it turns out good you'll be happy fishing it until you build something better. If you mess it up really bad, you'll still sleep easily at night.

Kevin

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:57PM

We at Mud Hole Custom Tackle offer a large selection of blanks & kits for the beginner. Some great beginner blanks are listed under our specials sections at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

We also still have some Cascade Composite close out blanks at up to 50% off MSRP available at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Complete Kits are a great way to start rod building today and are available at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 02:33PM

Neal's Fishing Products (sponsor at left) offers a huge selection of closeout and second-quality blanks and components. What I did was for my first few rods I just bought the second-quality stuff and made rods for my little brothers (8 and 11) and sister (3 1/2). I figured they'll probably wreck them anyway, and it won't cost me an arm and a leg. Plus, they thought I was super-cool for making something so special for them. My little sister constantly asks when she can go fishing. Great for practice and excellent for getting kids excited about fishing!

~Jackie

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 02:44PM

If you are chosing to build an ultra-light spinning rod because you think it will be easiest for a beginner, that is not necessarily true. It will be harder to wrap the guides on a very thin blank than on a blank of larger diameter. Consider also starting with a medium power freshwater rod, or a light, relatively short surf rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 03:10PM

Personally, I like Mudhole but amy of the vendors on the left will treat you right and if you give them a call, will be glad to help you get started

Mike

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 03:35PM

Neal has some great deals on the Tiger Eye blanks and has no problem setting you up inexpensively with the rest of the components ... give him a call and work it out over the phone, you'll be glad you did.

So far, all of the sponsors I've dealt with have been great though.

Posted by: capt ray brown (155.94.62.---)
Date: February 02, 2005 04:45PM

GIVE FISHSTICKS4U.COM a look , we carry the full line of forecast blanks.They are great blanks.
capt ray

Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 05:02PM

Thanks for everyone's reply. I'll check out some of the closeouts and factory seconds as per everyone's suggestions.

Thanks again
Sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 05:02PM by Samer Ibrahim.

Posted by: Gary George (---.nexicom.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 07:06PM

Not to suggest there is anything wrong with Forecast blanks(I am building on one at the moment), but there is no real risk to build on a more expensive blank. There is nothing that cannot be repaired or altered at a later date. So long as you place the guides correctly and the handle style you set up is one you will continue to be happy with, replacing guides and or cork is relatively simple. Even total handle and reel seat changes and guide relocation can be dealt with once you have developed your building skills. The only thing that cannot be corrected is breaking the actual blank and that is unlikely if you take your time and follow normal methods.

Consider this; a first custom rod ought to be something your going to really love to fish with. So build yourself a rod that is suited to your favourite technique, one that in a few years time is not rendered useless by the latest flavour of the week. Build in the qualities and quality that makes the rod truly custom. Keep in mind that a sloppy wrap or misalingned guide is no big deal. An oval handle with a few minor flaws doesn't change the true quality of the blank and it's function. In other words if you get it technically right but the esthetics are a bit off, you still have one @#$%& of a rod.

So far this Forecast blank I'm building on is very nice. It is straight and sound, the finish is good and setting up the spine(it is a 4 pc 4 wt.) was not to tough. So don't shy away from the Forecast, but don't shy away from something you really wanted and compromise, thats kind of false economy.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 08:39PM

Don't overlook the ATC Matrix series if you want green. Gives you a nice custom option for reasonable price.
Also, the SCII blanks from St. Croix are the best value for performance out there. If you want the SCI glass blanks are still with the nice Satin Black finish and give you options for the beginner that I don't think will disappoint you or break the bank.

These two brands of blanks are among the ones we carry which I believe serve the best interests of custom rod builders from beginner to expert.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.109.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 06:41AM

I agree with Richard the St. Croix SCII blanks are great value with a fine product. I just recently purchased a 6'6" blank from Richard's Rod and Reels and can say he is an excellent source for all your rod building needs.

Steve Lynas

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:33PM

My suggestions for brands of inexpensive blanks are St. Croix SCII (and maybe SCIII), Pac Bay Traditional and Rainforest, and Rainshadow. Pair and of these up with Alconite guides, pre-made grips and a decent seat, and you'll end up with a great rod for very little $$$. Give Bob at Custom Tackle Supply a call, and he'll get you set up quite nicely.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:35PM

Another option is to look at garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores etc. and find old rods that are in fair shape. You can get them anywhere from $1 on up. Strip them down, and rebuild them. That's what I'm doing for practice.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster