I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

latest thoughts on reel seat finishing
Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:21PM

After searching the old posts on finishes for reel seats I thought I might ask if there are new products being used by the reel seat turning community. I looked at a couple of suppliers mentioned by Tom and saw some new finish options.
1. Tru oil still a good option for most wood?
2. permagloss?
3. what new urethane coatings if any?
4. what woods do not require finish or reject finishing and can be buffed --not referring to stabilized wood
5. Does stabilization make soft/powdery and perhaps inherently weak wood into a solid usable stock like a pure synthetic turning stock.?
6. What techniques and products for filling small imperfections. I have seen some specific products for pen turning and I am wondering if this can also be used.
I have Andy Dear's DVD and have noted his finishing technique for stabilized wood.

I would like to get my finish on board first this time and not after the piece is screwed up.
thanks
john kepka

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: latest thoughts on reel seat finishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2005 03:02PM

1 - Yes.

2 - Yes, but more finicky to work with.

3 - Plenty of new water based types - not my first choice, however.

4 - Most in the Rosewood family. Ebony, Rosewood, Cocobolo.

5 - Yes, but you don't want to start with "bad" wood to begin with.

6 - Many types of fillers plus the cyanocrylic adhesives are very popular amoung turners.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:23AM

I still like to do a "pre-finish" on unstabilized wood. I submerge the turned and sanded insert in a jar with either watco oil or varnish thinned about half and half with paint thinner. I leave it submerged for a couple of days or longe, then take it out and throughly wipe all the excess off and let it dry for a couple of days. then I fine sand it again and finish it, usually with tru-oil.

cyanocrylic will fill small cracks. You can generally still see them, though. You need to get some glue in the crack and then squeeze it somehow(clamps, rubber band strips, etc) to actually close the crack. You got to do it pretty quick with the crazy glue.

Epoxy glue with a dye is a good filler for imperfections that are not "cracks".

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:45PM

I don't use stabilized wood very often, mainly because of the cost and the fact that I have a hard time finding it in dimensions big enough for grips also. I use Tru-Oil on everything I turn, even the rosewoods. For the rosewoods, I turn them, then submerge them in Denatured Alcohol, which pulls the oils out. Leaving the wood submerged for a couple hours will usually do the trick. Then, I finish it like I finish everything else--multiple coats of Tru-Oil.

I use super glue (i.e. cyanoacrylate) to fill any major voids in my wood. With especially finicky wood, I'll coat with superglue, let dry, turn down slightly past the superglue, coat with superglue again, turn down. . ., etc. Then, when I'm finished turning, I coat with multiple coats of Tru-Oil.

Regarding the filling of minor imperfections and open grain, Andy Dear has a dynamite technique for this. Turn your wood down to shape, then sand. Now, coat the whole thing with Tru-Oil. Let the finish almost dry--it needs to be a little tacky. Then, take sandpaper (I use 400 grit) on a sanding block and sand a little along the grain. The Tru-Oil mixed with the sawdust will create a little bit of a slurry. This slurry will fill the open grain. When the Tru-Oil dries, re-sand and check your open grain. Usually, you'll need to do the slurry trick several times before all the grain will be filled. It's a little time-consuming, but well worth the effort, especially on a really pretty piece of Claro Walnut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster