I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Selection for 8' 4wt.
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:37PM

My buddy is interested in rod building. I offered to show em the ropes and we ordered his gear tonite. He wants to make a fly rod for trout. We decided on an 8 foot 4 wt Cascade Composite blank cuz we couldnt beat the sale price. Now ive never built a fly rod this small, im usually doing saltwater/ great lakes steelhead rods and need some help on guide selection for this little rod.
Thanks
Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Selection for 8' 4wt.
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:57PM

I just starting building an 8' 4 weight and I'm using a size 12 single foot ceramic spinning guide as the stripper, followed by two size 2 single foot wire guides and the rest are size 1 single foot wire guides. The tip top is a size 6 ceramic. If I had known that a size 6 ceramic spinning guide would fit on the tip section OK, I would have used those. I've become disenchanted with single foot ceramic fly guides because so much grinding is needed in order to use a locking wrap on them.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 11:25PM

Hi Kyle,

I use a #10 double foot ceramic for the stripper, #4 dbl ft snake, #3 dbl ft snake, 3 #2s dbl ft snake and 3 #1 dbl ft snake and a ceramic Tip. Spacing is from the tip toward butt - 4 1/2", 9 3/8', 15 1/2", 22 1/4", 30 1/4", 38 1/2", 47 3/4", 56 1/2" and 66". That will get you close, fine tune with static test. Happy wrapping.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: February 01, 2005 08:32AM

Ceramics all the way. 12, 8 and 6s to the tip.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 01, 2005 11:28AM

On a 4 weight, single foot ceramics. I would go 12, 10, 8, 6s (or 5s) to tip. Use a blocking wrap, not the Forhan, for all guides.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 01, 2005 03:08PM

don, why use a blocking wrap and not the forhan ?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 01, 2005 03:55PM

As Gerry points out the Forhan looks a little strange on little guides, particulary with small diameter threads. On the other hand, the blocking wrap seals off the front of the tunnel and makes for a very neat wrap, as the finish can be kept on the threads. I suspect it also adds extra stability to the guide. The Forhan gets complicated unless you cut the thread from the spool before adding the lock. A blocking wrap is just a continuation of the wrap on the other side of the foot. The thread stays on the spool under tension throughout. I do sometimes use a single or double Forhan on the stripper guide.

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 08:35PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Kyle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster