I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

disappointed at rod show
Posted by: Paul Eagan (66.98.131.---)
Date: January 31, 2005 02:16PM

I was disappointed that Ralph Quinn was not at the charlotte rod building event last year. He was advertised to be there. Do you know if he will definitely be there this year?? Will we be able to speak to him personally or only watch his seminar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: disappointed at rod show
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:00PM

Ralph O'Quinn's wife passed away around the time of last year's show. Thus, he was not able to attend. He has recently moved but has settled in and told me only a couple weeks ago that he is looking forward to this year's show moreso than anything he has done in the last 50 years. Barring his own death or extremely ill health, neither of which appears imminent, he will be at this year's show.

Yes, you will have plenty of time to talk with Ralph and other presenters personally. Most will be downstairs in the exhibit hall most of the time and you'll be able to ask questions, visit, etc. Usually there is opportunity to speak with the presenters during the seminar if you have questions on the topic at hand.

I don't think you will ever find such a talented ensemble of rod builders under one roof as you will at this year's event. Many of these builders are the inventors and innovators of techniques which have been published, demonstrated and taught by so many others over the years. It is rare that one has the opportunity to learn from the very people who developed the various techniques. Charlotte is somewhat unique in this regard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 03:05PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:12PM

Are you sure you really want to talk to Ralph?? ....You may get 40 lashes with a steel spatula!! Only kidding of course. He's an onery old cuss but nobody in the business knows more that he does about epoxies and adhesives.

By the way nice write up about the show in the Fishing Tackle Retailer. Looks like the show has gained international prominence.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:15PM

Paul,
I share your disappointment, and it was unfortunate Ralph could not make it last year. It must have been a most difficult personal loss about his wife. I hope he can make it this year to
Charlotte.
I met Ralph once in person some years ago, and a few times fortunate to have positive communication with him to learn some valuable skills and information on rod building and the seriously good U-40 product he represents.
Ralph is one of a kind, and a true spoken individual that the rod building community would be much less if not for his lifelong committment to the craft.
You'll certainly be most fortunate at Charlotte to meet up with Ralph, or take in a session with him. Hopefully his enthusiasm will assure he can be there and share some of his knowledge that is a rare thing to find these days.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: January 31, 2005 03:21PM

Ralph's health and attitude are great. I haven't heard him this excited in years. He's back at work on his rod repair book, has a long list of articles underway for RodMaker and as I said, nothing short of an untimely death will keep him from this year's show. He told me that this is the type of rod building event that he has been waiting for his entire life. I hope he can not only make this one, but many more in the future as well.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:24PM

Mr. O'Quinn's absence from last year's Big Show in Charlotte was a disappointment to all but I was still overwhelmed by all the multitude of features to be found there. This year the event will be far greater in scope and if Mr. O'Quinn will be in atttendance all the better. I would never consider any one participant indespensible to the success of this great rod building convention. Looking forward to meeting you and lots of other rod builders there.

Date: January 31, 2005 03:55PM

Between Ralph, Jim Upton, Mark Crouse, Dr. Hanneman, Roger Seiders, Jason Brunner, David Boyle, Ken Preston and Andy Dear (and I'm probably forgetting some others), it's an impressive line up. The one guy I would have liked to have added, is Rich Forhan. Maybe next year.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 05:58PM

Don't forget the marble-eyed twins!

Date: January 31, 2005 07:03PM

That's right, Mike, Randy and Bill will be in the Featured Rod Builder Booth. I knew I would forget a few guys.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:51PM

I have to be out of town on business that weekend so I have to miss the whole thing. But I'd be there O'Quinn or not if I could. A show that size won't rise or fall on any one person. Still plenty to do, see and learn. Heck maybe I'll get fired and end up having time to come after all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:42PM

Tom: Pass this post to Mr. O'Qinn - It will get his Aerospace Blood Pumping!!

Maybe Mr. O'Quinn will provide official commentary concerning his hypothisis, of the true importance, of free iron radicals imbedded in unpassivated austenitic stainless steel process and storage equipment which causes shifts in spectrum colors of amine containing polymer systems due to oxidation of excess ferric ion which results in blood red hardner!!

I would think the official statement would, or should be, buy a new bottle!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster