I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which spinning rod blank for trout & Powerbait?
Posted by: Stirling Chow (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:58PM

Hi everyone,

My rod collection was recently stolen, so I need to replenish it, and thought now would be a good time to build my first rod. I'd like to build a rod specifically for trout fishing from shore using Powerbait/worms. We use a rig that involves a 3/8 ounce egg sinker on the main line, a swivel, and a 12-18" leader with hook and bait. The rig is cast out as far as possible, the bait floats just above the weed line, and then the rod is placed on a holder.

I've read a FAQ list re: rod power vs. action, but I'm still a bit uncertain about what type of blank would be best. Sensitivity in the butt is not that important since the rod is generally left in a holder, but the tip should be soft so that the trout doesn't feel much resistance when it picks up the bait, and so that the fisherman can see the take. Most fish are in the 2-4lb range.

I think a 7' or 7'6" spinning rod (two piece) blank with medium-light power and a slow or moderate action might be appropriate. Is there a better suited style of rod for this type of fishing? Do you have any specific recommendations on an affordable blank/guide combination?

Thanks for the help,
Stirling

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which spinning rod blank for trout & Powerbait?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:07PM

You don't want a slow or medium action if you want a light tip. Only a fast action rod will give that to you.

Posted by: Stirling Chow (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:16PM

Hmm, I guess I misunderstood what I read about power vs. action :) OK, let me see if I understand this now. If you had two rods with similar power (= ability to exert the same maximum force before breaking?) and mass, then a fast action rod should be able to show more subtle strikes than a slow action rod because a smaller portion (= smaller mass) of the rod has to move so there is less inertia to overcome? Is that the correct reasoning?

Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:05AM

Stirling, Ive still fished for trout in our local state park for about 25 years off and on. The way most do it around here is a small clip-on bobber is placed on the line between 2 guides so the line can slide through the clip. Pull out enough slack so that the bobber hangs about 10 - 12" bellow the rod. Set the hook when the bobber is on the rise. It is very sensitive if you use a bobber just small enough to keep the line pulled down. I generally catch a lot more fish than people who are just running a straight line. On really windy days I'll use a bigger bobber or fish fish without one. Hope this helps! Good luck with your rodbuilding.

Trout?
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 08:07AM

You said "from the shore." Are you talking about saltwater speckled or grey trout? If so, we do plenty of fishing like that in the Atlantic surf, with plastic grubs and about that weight, although the weight is a jighead right at the end of the line with the grub. For that, 7-foot medium-fast rods (freshwater type) are common, you can use a bit longer, to 8 feet, if distance is important. The trout have weak mouths (grey trout are also known as weakfish), so you have to be careful with the fast action rod, especially in the surf. We lose some to the hook tearing out anyway, but still prefer the fast action for the sensitivity.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:55AM

It's just my opinion but I'd build a 8 to 9 foot 6wt flyrod into your spinning rod. Casts great, and the fight is awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: January 31, 2005 01:48PM

Stirling,

Consider two rods of the same power with different actions. One is a typical fast spinning rod action while the other is a more moderate action. Given the same force from the fish, the fast action blank will bend in the tip section alone while the moderate action will bend further down the rod. When you set the hook, you get a more immediate hookset with a fast rod than a moderate rod because there is less flex in the rod. A moderate rod requires that the top half or more of the rod bend before it 'locks up' and doesn't want to bend any further down while the fast rod has its lock up point much higher and requires less rod motion before it locks up.

For what you want, look at the fast actioned rods with light or ultralight power. The St Croix Avid 7' 2 pc UL is a good choice and a decent price. The SCIV or SCV blank with the same specs is perfect for what you want, though a little pricey to sit in a rod holder.

We fished these rigs for years in the trout lakes around home. Always 7' rods, anywhere between 1/8 and 3/8 oz of weight, and powerbait, small redworms, and small red eggs were the hot fare for us.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: ken wilson (---.jefferson.k12.ky.us)
Date: February 01, 2005 09:11AM

You might want to try a light power popping rod for this type of fishing. It will let you cast power bait without throwing it off the hook. A good choice would be the All Star B843P or B844P.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster