I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IGFA "Regulation" stlye blanks
Posted by: Terry Marx (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:39PM

This may go down as the dumbest question ever, but for years I've seen blanks and rods listed as "Regulation" by the IGFA line class rating for use mostly as trolling rods.
Just what does this mean as far as power/taper or anything I would care about when ordering a blank for normal fishing.
I've wondered about this group of rods for years and there aren't a lot of saltwater hobby builders here in Vegas to clue in us slow types.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IGFA "Regulation" stlye blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2005 05:14PM

It won't tell you much about the taper, although most "regulation IGFA" blanks fall into the medium action/taper category.

Power is relative to the line weight/class being fished. These class ratings will vary somewhat as they are certainly subjective, but I think you'll find that most "50lb class" blanks will be roughly the same power. These do differ on the east and west coasts somewhat. For many years Seeker gave two ratings, an east and west coas listingt. A 30lb blank on the east coast was (is) considered a 50lb blank on the west coast. A 50lb on the east is an 80lb on the west.

(You could put a Common Cents ERN power rating on them but honestly, the amount of weight needed to rate them would require a holding fixture that most wouldn't have access to. It wouldn't be very practical I'm afraid.)

Re: IGFA "Regulation" stlye blanks
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:57AM

Generally speaking you would only want an IGFA-RT blank if you were planning on fighting a fish from a chair mounted in a boat cockpit. You can also fight a fish by leaving the rod in the gunnel mounted rod holder, but these sticks were designed for the chair. They are normally long rods in the 7'-8' catagory. This is so the line can clear the stern corners of the boat when a fish is close. Boat builders keep giving us wider beams which does nothing for ease of landing big fish from the chair. I hope this gives you a 'little' insight for what RT blanks are for and their use.

As Tom said they are normally medium action blanks. They are also thick from butt to tip. An 80# RT will have close to a 1" butt and something like a 26 or 28 tip.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster