I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

end of blank & grip
Posted by: alan hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:00PM

I'm a new rod builder here for the first time asking a question. I have got kits from a place that was supposedly to contain everything i needed. Well now i have the grip on the blank but what do you usually do at the end of the grip and the blank to cover up the hole? Also do you use tape under the reel holder to fill in the space there? Really like this forum, have never seen one like this where a person can get so much help without a fee. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: end of blank & grip
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 09:10PM

About the hole at the end of your rod: Many people will install a butt cap there, there are many kinds. You say you already have the grip (butt handle) on the blank. If it's a cork handle and there is just a small hole about the size of the blank, then you can plug or cover that hole in many ways. One way is with a small cork plug (get a suitable cork at a craft store, you will probably have to sand or file a bit, glue it in and sand flush. Or cover (glue on) with a button (one without holes) or a coin, put a coat or two of epoxy finish on them first. (I like to use a shiny penny with the date the same as the anglers birth year.) About the reel holder (reel seat). Some people use masking tape arbors, better is drywall tape. Still better are graphite arbors; best are the new Flex-Coat arbors, but you will need a special drill bit for those. Good luck.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 09:18PM

Alan , the kit should have cotained a cap for the end of the rod , they are usualy made of plastic or rubber . As far as the seat goes , you can use masking tape or mesh fiberglass drywall tape to build up the blank to get a slip fit between the seat and blank . There are also graphite bushings that can be purchased and reamed to fit the gap........ the prefered method nowadays by many builders. The arbors can be had in block , and pre turned , both of which require some work to get the proper fit . The glass tape works well when it is use with the slow cure epoxy . You will hear conflicting oppinions on masking tape , but I've used all three methods with no problems to date . Depending on what type of rod you are building you can find some crutch or cane caps at the pharmacy that will work for a butt cap for your rod. I'm sure if you use the search feature you can find some more info on "seat arbors" to get some info on the different methods . Have fun , good luck , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:47AM

Hi Alan: both tom and John gave you excellatadvice. May I add for a new commer dry wall tape is the best for you. To install dry wall sticky tape I would use 3 peaces about a 1/2 inch wide Measure your reel seat place one in the center of the reel seat and the other 2 about 1/4 inch from each end of the reel seat.. T ake your tape and roll it on to your blank nearest the butt roll in to to the blank till the reel seat is snug not tight. Cut off the tape at that point. Now do the center and the othe end the same way. Now using your bonding agent ( Rod Bond ) Unroll each tape leaving one turn on the blank, spread the bond on to the tape and roll it back on the rod after that spread the rest of the bond inbetween the 2 gaps and place the reelseat in-place. I would also place the for wrap grip in-place at this time. Now clean up and bond that got on the reelseat or grips with a mixture of 50% water and denatured alcahol with a couple drops of liquide soap
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: alan hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 06:45PM

I did get a black plug but it looks small for the cork. I have a cork(pre-made) handle with plastic on and didnt think i should be taking the plastic wrap off. Do any of you take the plastic covering off the cork or do you leave it on through out the whole process? Thanks everyone for your help.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 11:54AM

I'd take the plastic wrap off because if any epoxy creeps under it , it'll stick. You want to be able to wipe down the cork grip with alcohol before any epoxy mess sets up.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:27PM

after taking the plastic off and glueing cork to rod blank is there anything else you may do to the cork handle to prepare it for fishing use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster