I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing the right blank
Posted by: Dave Ballard (---.consolidated.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:09PM

I have not as yet built my first rod, I have bought books and videos, read posts till I'm about blind and cannot figure out where to start. I do most of my fishing in a warm water lake (power plant) in Illinois. I fish for hybrid strippers all winter from a 16 foot jon boat. The catch is I use crankbaitss, heavy jigs and not so heavy top water baits. Do I need differentt rods for the differnt lure weigts or can I find a 7 foot blank that will fit all. I am confused about the different weights 2wt - 4wt - etc. If I get a blank with a .590 butt size what size is that. I can't seem to find information to educate me on all the basics, and I don't want to start until I'm sure of what I'm doing. If anyone knows where to get a nebie guide I would appreciate it. I have books from Clemens, Kirkland and others but they assume you have some basic knowledge of rod building.
Also is there any sites that sell through paypal? I just had a bad experience with a credit card transaction that was suppossed to be secure.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing the right blank
Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:29PM

Assuming you are using a casting reel (the one that sits on top of the rod) you want a "casting" rod rated to throw the weight of the lure. This is the way catalogs list these blanks. The diameter of the butt of the blank is relative and is helpful only when selecting components. The 2 and 4 weight refers to fly rods, which I don't think you want. Decide if you want a graphite or fiberglass blank, then find a maker that has the length you want and make sure it will cast the weight lures you use.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:40PM

I would bet you would be most satisfied for a rod designed specifically for each application but you would be fine with just two multi-purpose rods. One for Jigs and one for your cranks and topwaters. Your best for rod suggestions would be to post here saying "what would you use for 1/2 -1 ounce jigs, using 12-20 test line, targeting fisg in the 5 to 10# class"? You will get a multitude of answers on blanks ranging from $30-$100+ depending on manufacturer. Also, you'll be looking for mag bass blanks or popping blanks that are rated by line # test not weight. American Tackle has a new inexpensive line of blanks out called Matrix. You could use a Matrix 7' 12-20 #test rated rod in the Mag bass catagory that is for 1/4 to 1 ounce lures. It retails for $60. Download the Mudhole.com catalog and you can browse many different blanks. Depending on the #test of the line you use and the weight of your lures, you can make a pretty educated guess on what blanks will work for you.

Most of the sponsors on the board (I've used Hook and Hackle, Neils, and Mudhole to name a few) have great people who can help you pick out all of your components to make your rod. From the blank to the handle kit and guide set so everything matches up well. Call Bob at H&H or Neil @ Neils Fishing Products and they will set you up in a price range that works for your budget. I have dealt with them over the phone many times and feel very secure about giving them my credit card info over the phone.

Date: January 29, 2005 06:35PM

This helps quite a bit. I can now eliminate the blanks with wt advertised on them , if I understand they are all fly rod blanks.
I was just looking at mudhole, I think I will choose a blank and handle, plus a guide set and post back what I have chose to see if most agree. Thank a lot.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 07:15PM

Dave,

I would recommend that you stay away from guide sets! Are you talking about spinning or casting rods. I would by guides separately and get a few extras because your static testing will determine placement and number of guides. Check out the articles in the Library above and I would suggest that when you call Mudhole, ask to talk to Scott and let him help you with the guides

Mike

Date: January 29, 2005 07:26PM

Thanks I don't know what static testing is but I will inquire when asking about guides.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:59PM

Dave,

What you need to do BEFORE you order is go to the Libray at the top of this page and read articles on Static Guide Placement and Concept guide system. Then look at the FAQ's and Glossary. There is an entire education waiting for you there. Also, when you put in your order, add "Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. It will be the best $15 you will spend on this hobby.

Mike

Date: January 29, 2005 09:27PM

Thanks - I'm on my way to the library

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster