I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rheostat on flexcoat wrapper motor
Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:24PM

Now that I know the speed I need for marbelizing has anyone installed a rheostat on an 18 rpm flexcoat motor? Did it burn the motor up? Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rheostat on flexcoat wrapper motor
Posted by: Carmen De Franco (---.hns.aptalaska.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:38PM

no but sure you get a rheostat for motors no lights. cp

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:17PM

A rheostat will not control the speed of an AC motor. Their speed is locked to the frequency of the current (60 cycles/sec. in the US). You'll have to buy a motor wound to run the speed you want or rig up a belt and pulley system to get the right speed. Either that or buy an AC/DC Universal brush type motor which can be controlled by a rheostat.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:23PM

Morris,

You might try an electric light dimmer switch. I use them to control the speed on my woodworking routers. Maybe Lynn could tell you if that will work.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.dialup.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:35PM

I got one from Harbor Freight. It is listed as a "Router Speed Control". It has a 3 way switch for Normal on, Rheostat control, and off. Seems to work fine on my Flex Coat Lathe.

Greg

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:57PM

I have done the exact same thing that Greg (above) did. I have also wired in a foot pedal with a SPDT switch where I can bypas the pedal and leave the speed controller in the circuit.. I got it on a 30 rpm motor, but I believe it will work on about motor less than 100rpm or so. I did have to adjust the speed controller slightly for the lower amp. motor. (Instructions came with the speed controller for this adjustment) I use this set up with a motified hand wrapper for both wrapping and marbling.

Ed

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:27AM

Most rod lathes, sewing machines, and routers, use brush type AC/DC Universal motors. Rheostats and light dimmers (rheostats+triacs) work fine on these since their speed is controlled by the amount of voltage. The typical dryer motor is a pure AC brushless motor, which gets it's speed control from the way the fields in the motor are wound in relation to the frequency of the current (60 cycles/second). Basically, if it has brushes, a rheostat will work. If it doesn't have brushes, you will burn up your motor if you use a rheostat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 09:18AM

If you have the room and plane on doing a lot of marbelizing build one just for that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster