I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

humidity and wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:06PM

seems to me i have heard that high humidity affects either CP or epoxy on wraps, during the application stages. any truth to it? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: humidity and wraps
Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:18PM

I have seemed to have better luck with my epoxy curing faster in low humidity settings but it may have been more so due to fact that I also had a constant 70 degree temperature. When I worked in my garage I had fluctuations in both, now that I wrap in my basement that is insulated and heated things work much better. i believe that Tom Kirkman stated that humidity is a lot less of a factor than a constant temperature. Someone correct me if I am wrong ....

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:21PM

No, high humidity won't bother either. Epoxy isn't bothered by it (I do my best finish work on rainy days with the windows open) and acrylic color preservers use water as the carrier/solvent.

Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:26PM

yes, humidity is a problem if you have any dust in the air. I found that out the hard way. When i finished my first rod, i was rolling in on my rack 6 inches off of the carpet. Not a speck of dust or particles in the wrap. (also a higher humidity environment with a humidifier) Then when i finished a rod in the winter (in michigan cold and dry outside) in a place where i have no control over the humidity, the epoxy acts as a dust magnet. SO higher humidity will keep the static charges from attracting the dust in the air. Tom is right that humidity does not bother the epoxy from setting up, although i have noticed that in a higher humid environment it did take a little longer for the epoxy to cure, but this was where i have had the best finishes. Hope this helps.

MI Builder

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:44PM

In the past I've noticed that on really warm humid days, I'll end up with a thin hazy film using Flexcoat. Its a film on the outside that can be wiped away, and I'd apply a second coat on a dryer day. Because it bothered me, I purchased a dehumidifier for the real muggy days. Not sure about other finishes.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:43PM

cool. thanks guys.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 29, 2005 10:29AM

I also don't buy into the humidity argument. The best way to keep your wraps free of airborn impurities is to strive for dust free air. I like to mist the air in my drying room with a spray bottle before I apply finish. It would also be a good idea to keep we epoxy far away from dust magnets...like carpet. Temperature is the key. Too cold and the epoxy won't flow.

This same thing happens to the boat builders around here. Almost all of them build their boats in uninsulated buildings usually with the doors open except in the winter. Heck some of them don't even have buildings opting to just work under an open shelter. I've seen 60+ foot sportfishers built in the open air. Sunny days or rainy days they don't seem to have a problem with their epoxy...unless it's cold outside. Was at a friends yesterday looking at a 20' custom carolina hull he's building. He had applied finish to the teak toe rail the day before and it didn't flow worth a dern. He'll sand it down and wait for a warmer day.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster