I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

i need help with a butt wrap
Posted by: kenny sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:31PM

I'm 15 years old and I am working on my first rod. I'm a little confused about the butt wrap. I don't completely understand it. I'm trying to do diamonds.

This is what I've got first mark have far apart you want the diamonds, the start wrapping the thread crossing over your marks and then come back. I'm stuck at the "top" of it when you reach the end what do you do to make it stay.

I've been told how simple this really is but I dont have a clue. please help.

Kenny Sapp
Bro-Ken Tackle Company

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i need help with a butt wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:34PM

Don't come back down (you can, but only at a fairly shallow angle when turn around on the back of the wrap). Just tape off the thread past the top end and start again from the butt, on the other side of the diamond.

In other words, starting at the left and wrapping to the right, make a pass to your right along the bottom and right of each center. Tape off when you reach the far right. Now go back to the starting point on the far left and wrap to the right again, but this time along the top and right of each center. When that's done, go back and do the two wraps on the top and bottom but to the left of the centers.

As you progress, you'll also discover that it's easier and neater to have fewer "crosses" of the thread. So you may wish to wrap the right bottom and top left, then switch to left bottom and top right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2005 04:46PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: matt wilson (---.uscg.mil)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:49PM

If this seems like something you're gonna be doing for awhile, I highly suggest visiting the mud hole web site and ordering one of the clemens books called, "advanced custom rod building." I've bought a couple of books and they map it out for you crystal clear. Good luck,

Matt

Posted by: Kenny Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:54PM

Thanks alot Tom and Matt.....I see said the blind man

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 05:54PM

Kenny,

The best thing that you can do is invest $15 in the bool Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. Most of the sponsors on the left carry it. It has over 100 step by step photo's covering all area of basic rodbuilding, including the Diamond wrap.

Mike

Posted by: doug moreland (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 07:15PM

Hi Kenny I will being a couple of books and vids to work tomorrow and give them to your dad .You can look through them for a while.Doug

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:43PM

Hi Kenny - welcome to the world of fishing rod builders. Take a look at the top of this bulletin board and find a section called Directory. Look in there and see if you can find the address of a builder nearby. Give him/her a call and see if you can make arrangements to visit. I am sure that any builder would be delighted to have you visit and they will be able to show you how to do some of the things very easily. If I was lucky I would be the one nearby and if you called I would make arrangements to come pick you up to show you around my shop. It looks like Doug Moreland has first shot at developing a new Rodbuilding Master Craftsman!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster