I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Silk or "normal" threads?
Posted by: Hans Lehikoinen (---.Joensuu.FI)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:48AM

Which one is "better", silk or normal (nylon?) wrapping thread for fly rods? What are pro's and con's for a beginner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silk or "normal" threads?
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: January 27, 2005 06:37AM

Hi Hans,
if you have never wrapped a rod before I'd stick with regular nylon like Gudebrod or similar.
I havnt wrapped many rods but using nylon is close to a free ride. Silk on the other hand is a different beast. I'm currently wrapping my first rod with silk using Pearsalls Gossamer black and white hoping for a translucent look once finished. Silk - this one anyway - is much finer/thinner than nylon and is more prone to breaking if you are not carefull with you thread tension - I hold the thread between my fingers. Strangly I found that the black is not as strong as the white - maybe a bad reel of silk - I dont know.
I found out I needed glasses when I started wrapping with silk - good eyesight and good lighting is necessary to keep the threads close.
I do it this way:
First I wet the silk thread on the first part of it - this advice was given to me and gives the silk a better grip on the blank - thank you Mr. Boyd :-)
Then I wrap carefully keeping the threads as close together as I can - finish of the wrap - then inspect it using a magnifiing(?) glass and even more light to find the gaps. The threads are then pushed together using the round barrel of a thread bobbin.
They look nice when dry but I'm redoing them for the 3. time tonight - I wasnt happy with the length - this weekend I'll be varnishing them - maybe I'll need professional help monday :-)

But if its your first I would stick with nylon....silk is more difficult but of course not impossible even for a beginner.

Peter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2005 09:39AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 11:12AM

The big deal with silk is that you can get it in smaller diameters. The smallest you can get in nylon is A, which I think is the same as size 0. You can get silk in 00 [2/0], 3/0, 4/0, and 6/0. The gossamer is 6/0. Personally, I like 2/0 silk as it finishes out a bit better than the A nylon. I wish I had a source of 2/0 nylon as silk can be a bit fuzzier.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:24PM

I use both. For almost everything, I use "A" nylon. It does a great job, and is incredibly consistent. For my own rods, or situations where I want ultra-low profile wraps, I use Pearsall's gossamer (i.e. 6/0) silk. I haven't messed with the larger diameters of silk, because I always figured that if I wanted larger diameters, I'd just use nylon.

Gossamer silk--when finished correctly--is the most beautiful of all thread wraps. It looks poured on. I still haven't figured out exacly how to finish it perfectly. But, even when it's a little imperfect, it sure looks good. When wrapping gossamer, you have to have great lighting and decent eyes. And, you must be patient. Imagine wrapping a guide on with hair--gossamer is only slightly larger diameter. It takes awhile--even with just a simple single-foot guide. But again, the results are worth it.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:13PM

Hans. 6/0 is difficult to work with. But a 2/0 or 3/0 (with good lighting and some magnifying glasses) can give you very nice wraps with only a little more effort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster