I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding Check Fit
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 27, 2005 07:57AM

How do you determine if a winding check fits properly? I have a nickel/silver check. It slides down to the rod blank easily to the cork handle. Should it be tight, snug, etc.? I really don't see a readily noticeable gap between the check and the blank. I couldn't find a thread for this. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding Check Fit
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:15AM

I've read where a few of the guys posting like to have thread under these metal winding checks so that, especially on lighter or slower actioned rods, they aren't putting pressure against the blank...

Putter

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:17AM

Especially with the metal winding checks, you want it to go easily right to the cork. As long as you can't wiggle it, I think you've got the right fit. Rod Bond will hold it in place and even if there's a minute gap on the forward edge, the thread will take care of that.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 11:25AM

Bad idea to glue metal checks directly to the blank as you cannot easily retro fit the grip and it can add a pressure point to the blank. A too snug check will scratch the blank when you force it down. Yours appears to fit correctly, but I would lay down a thread wrap to the cork and put the check over that. You can put finish over the check and the thread or just the thread.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 27, 2005 12:15PM

Don:
So, I put some thread to the cork handle, dab on some rod bond and slide the check down? Do I just put 2 or 3 wraps under the check? Or, do I place the hookkeeper on and wrap from the foot down to the check as a continous wrap and then varnish it all. . Or, do I slide the check down to the cork handle and place rod varnish over it when I varnish the wraps on the guides?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 02:53PM

Bruce. There are many possibilities here. The hookeeper is the toughest, if you want a continuous wrap with the check over the thread. In that case you would want to start the wrap at the keep and advance towards the grip, leaving a thread tag long enough to thread through the check (which you would slide up the wrap) and complete the wrap to the grip. You then slide the check into place and finish the thread and check with the usual varnish or epoxy. The check is held in place by the thread finish alone. If you overcoat the check it is now glued in place by the finish. You can't use regular glue before you finish the thread or the glue will soak into the thread. Without a keep is easier. Wrap the thread, put on your 1st coat of finish, allow it to dry, and then slide on the check. You can use a small amount of glue now. Then put on the second coat of finish. I mostly use plastic checks which are glued to the blank and grip, but which cut off with the cork for a retro-fit. I varnish over these onto the thread.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:21PM

Fitting a metal winding check on flyrods requires good worksmanship. First the grip must be fitted properly, i.e., tight to the blank. The check must slide easily up to the grip, snug with no visible gap just as Bruce described. Any other fit makes for a poorly crafted rod. A tiny drop or two of glue behind the check will hold it in place. The trim or hookkeeper wrap should be finished just short of the check just allowing enough space for you finish to flow on the blank. Good luck Bruce.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster