I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fitting blank to cork?
Posted by: Daniel McClurkin (---.hvr.al.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 11:06PM

What is the best or some of best methods to "building up" a blank to fit a cork with a slightly larger diameter? I have used masking tape in the past, but this just doesn' t seem like it would provide a good quality bond, or does it? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fitting blank to cork?
Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 25, 2005 11:32PM

You should be using unbored cork so that the cork is fitted to the blank. Other methods do not have a place in rodmaking. REC has fairly good unbored cork rings.

Date: January 25, 2005 11:41PM

Thanks, what about the same question related to real seets / wood inserts on fly rods?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 11:53PM

Daniel,

I have,on occasion, spiraled "D" thread or cord up the blank under the grip and used rod bond on EVA and cork both with no problems even after heavy use. It's not ideal but works! Just curious, cork rings have a 1/4" diameter hole. What size blank is smaller than that??

I would use Flex coat arbors on the seats or shim with drywall mesh and use Rod Bond

Mike

Date: January 26, 2005 12:14AM

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. The blank is a #4wt. 2pc. fly rod and I cannot recall the butt diameter off-hand, but it is relatively small. The cork is actually a finished handle with wood inserts and it looked really good, so i took a gamble in it fitting the blank and as you can see I have wound up with a problem. I guess, I need not to take shortcuts in the future.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:24AM

Is the grip made by American Tackle by any chance?

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:41AM

Daniel I have run into problems like yours when building ice rods, the bore of the cork is .250 and the butt of the blank is .165, in this case I have in the past used an old rod blank, tip section, and found the area that fits the blank diameter, and used it as a sleeve to shim up the blank to meet the ID of the cork. I just slid the blank shim, usually about 5-6" over the butt till it fits, and rough up the blank surface, and used rod bond to glue it together, let it dry 24 hours and then install the cork grip. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:57AM

Galen,

Great Idea!!!!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 26, 2005 11:43AM

Galen

Now that's out-of-the-box thinking - I like it.

Posted by: Daniel McClurkin (205.255.224.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:24PM

Gerry,

you are correct, it is made by American Tackle and looks great.

Mike & Galen,

great ideas guys, thanks for your help

Daniel

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 02:00PM

Daniel,
When you described it , I was almost positive it was one of theirs. I consider it really bad form of them to not state very clearly on their website that these things have a .34 ID rather than .25. They should be very up front about that.

Gerry

Posted by: Daniel McClurkin (---.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:18PM

Gerry,

I agree, like I said earlier, I took a gamble on it fitting.

Daniel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster