I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide placement
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 25, 2005 08:16AM

I was reading the section on guide placement in Tom Kirkman's book. It kind of scares me now. Should I go to an experienced rodmaker for assistance or attempt this myself? Also, should I file the bottom of the guide feet so they fit flush on the rod? I bought a kit and the tops of the guide feet seem filed enough already. If the feet are raised a bit from fitting flush on the blank will the guide wraps pull them down flush with the blank? I read that loose fitting guides can cause a weak spot in the blank. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide placement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2005 09:02AM

You may wish to read that chapter again. Guide should sit flat on the blank. Imagine a 200lb person standing on your hand in a flat soled shoe. You'd feel some pressure, but it wouldn't likely damage anything. Now put that same person in a woman's high heeled shoe and repeat. This time you'll have the same weight concentrated in a smaller area and may have a heel go through your hand. Same with guides. You want to evenly distribute any pressure along the entire length of the guide foot.

Using thread tension to pull a guide foot down flush is not a good idea (if you could even do this) and could likely cause a blank failure at some point.

The key points to remember are; form a nice even taper on the end of the foot (makes it easier for the thread to climb the foot and helps reduce finish cracking); try to bend and even file the underside of the guide feet as flat as possible; and don't use too much thread tension. After wrapping you should still be able to move or shift the guides with slight sideways pressure.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 25, 2005 10:36AM

Thanks, Tom! Your book is terrific. Am I making the static guide placement sound more difficult than it is?
Bruce

Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 11:03AM

Unless the feet are radiused they do not fit perfectly to the blank, as the blank is not flat. There are some stamped guides that are radiused, but I wouldn't try to do this with a file. A thin film of guide foot adhesive will hold the guide in place for wrapping and gives you a little better fit. As Tom says, most of the file work is done to make the taper on the end of the foot (on top) gradual enough to walk the thread up onto the guide. Many guides are pre-ground and require only a quick pass of the file to make sure there are no burrs.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2005 12:06PM

Probably. Many builders aren't sure they're doing it correctly. They have no prior experience to go by. If you'll look in the online library here you'll find an article ona simple method for static guide placement. I think you may find it even easier that what I put in the Amato book. Give it a read and report back with any questions. We'll be happy to help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster