I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

choke guide size
Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:56PM

I am new to rod building. The rod kit I have has all the guides. If I want to purchase the guides seperately from a blank, how do I determine the size of the choke guide so I get the best efficiency for casting when the line comes off the spinning reel. I am starting building by making small spinning rods.

Thanks for any input.

Dick Murchison

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: choke guide size
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2005 11:01PM

Read the article in the online library about the New Guide Concept. Generally, a guide that has a diameter roughly 1/2 of that of the reel spool diameter will put you in the ballpark. From there you only need obtain the correct frame height.

Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 07:12AM

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. What is the best way to determine the frame height needed? I would assume that this puts the reel that will go on the pole into play.

Thanks,
Dick

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 07:54AM

Yes, definitely chose and lay out your guides with the actual reel you plan to use mounted in place. Again, read the Library article. Guides that work well for me are the Fuji BYAG Alconites near the butt, changing to Fuji BLAG Alconites out to the tip. Also, just as an example, with one of the Shimano reels in size 2000, I generally use a BYAG size 25 as the butt guide.

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 08:29AM

What I do is put the reel on the rod and spin the line roller so that it is 180 degrees away from the rod. Run the line through your guides that are taped on and position the stripper guide where the angle of the line from the reel to the guide is not too severe. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 09:05AM

About frame height: Guides designed for the New Concept System, such as the Fuji BYAGs, are "high frame guides." (These are used near the butt, you will change to very low frame fly guides, such as Fuji BLAGs, near the tip.)

The exact frame height is not critical, because you will be adjusting the position of those high-frame guides on the blank so as to give you the proper straight line, from the reel spool to the butt guide, to the smaller but still high-frame intermediate guides, and finally to the intersect guide. Then same-size fly guides out to the tip-top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster