I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing Two-Hander Fore Grip
Posted by: Steve Cole (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:52PM

My first foray into experimenting with a two-handed rod has been to rebuild a rod that was originally built as a surf rod. The original builder used a two-handed blank by Daiwa UK., the Amorphous Whisker, 12 feet for 6/7/8 weight lines in three pieces. I am only rebuilding the butt section in order to upgrade the reel seat and make the grips a proper length for two-handed casting. I have the butt grip installed as well as the new reel seat, but am wondering how best to glue up the fore grip. I reamed and fitted each cork ring and they are all fitted to the blank with no glue. Looking at it, I am thinking that I need to glue the rings together while on the blank and likewise epoxy the rings to the blank at the same time. That means shaping the grip for the finished handle in place. I am wondering if there might be a better way to approach this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

Steve Cole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Two-Hander Fore Grip
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.190.80.57.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 02:08AM

Steve,
Now that you've already reamed the cork rings, there really aren't too many more options that are easy that I know of (there might be a million and one that I don't know!!!!) In the future, try this. Glue the cork rings together on a separate dowel in a cork clamp. I use a long threaded metal rod and use washers as buffers when using nuts on opposite ends of the cork to clamp them down. Make sure you don't glue the cork to the dowel!!!! Make sure there is sufficient length of the dowel (or metal rod) to go into a drill or lathe chuck. That way it's easier to chape with the help of a high speed drill and some sandpaper. I finish shaping most of my grips in less than five minutes. This includes finishing. The reaming is adifferent story! Cheers.

Posted by: Steve Cole (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 07:22AM

The method you described is what I do when building the shorter grips for single-handed rods (half-wells, full-wells etc). I just didn't see that as practical when in the end I would have to ream a grip that was 14 inches in length in order to get the fit for this rod. Maybe I was mistaken and should have tried to build the grip as you described. I have another two-handed blank that I will be working on as soon as I finish the current project. I will try the method using the metal dowel with that foregrip and see how it shakes out. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: gary marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 04:12PM

Steve,
I'm kind of in the same boat, building a 15' 3pc spey rod.
The fore grip comes in at around 15"
Here's what I'm thinking.
Ream each ring to fit the blank.
build a mandrel out of threaded rod like Chia says.
Build up under each ring a necessary with tape.
glue up the grip in 3 5" sections clamp and turn.
Now I have basically 3 seperate grips.
Apply glue to the blank and the dry grip ends where needed.
Clamp again and touch up by hand.
I would glue it up on the blank but spinning a 5' piece of graphite kind of scares me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster