I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glass coat cp
Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 01:41PM

I am experimenting with some thread wrapping. The glass coat cp was setting up before I finished putting cp on the wrap. Is it fair to say that it needs to be thinned a little?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glass coat cp
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2005 05:00PM

Not necessarily. How long is it taking you to apply CP to a wrap? More than 10 seconds? More than 15?

The urethane/acrylic preservers set much faster than the straight acrylics and you don't have a long time to apply it. Load your brush, lower it to the wrap, make one full revolution, reverse for one revolution in the opposite direction and move on.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 22, 2005 06:04PM

John can you email me, as your email is hidden. I have some information on Glass coat cp and it's fading properties on thread.

Posted by: Jay dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 09:26PM

Myles, It might be nice to share with the rest of us??

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:01PM

I have a 15 rpm motor. I tried to do about three revs with the application before I went on with the next section. I am trying to insure one good coat like the directions suggest.

Thanks

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:22PM

Mick (Dundee) McComesky has done an extensive test regarding different finishes and CP's. He sent the wraps and everything to Myles Boon in Australia to get some serious sun. Myles is closely watching this pretty much daily between diaper changing and penal colony rock work. He's noticed some serious fading problems already...

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2005 06:29AM

G'day Jay, The project is Mick's , I'm just providing the the extreme UV radiation that Australia gets bombarded with daily. Myself and Mick have to be careful on what we say as it leaves us open. I will be sending the test sticks back to Mick late April for him to compare with a control stick of wraps. Mick will contact the companys involved first before posting any results, out of professional courtesy. This test so far has shown some shocking results from rayon and a certain brand of cp after only 3 days in the sun, two of them overcast. I'm seeing changes nearly on a daily basis, as Putter said between nappy changes and the jobs the little lady has me doing. From my understanding Mick will post quite a detail explaination of the test when everything is detailed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2005 03:45PM

This is a surprising observation as I've used the Glass Coat for quite some time and have nothing but good things to say about it. No noticeable fading and very easy to use. Good color retention and more consistent batches than the Gudebrod 811. I have some sticks outside right now and after 2 months, no noticeable fading against a controlled sample of naked thread. 100 samples of each (the minimum for a "scientific" test).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster