I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbe needs advice
Posted by: Scott Gordon (---.carrinter.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 11:01AM

Hi all,
I have been reading the posts here for some time now, and have finally decided to take the plunge and attempt my first rod. Now for the needed advice part! I want to build a Steelhead/Salmon rod for use along the west side of Michigan. Everybody around this area uses rods in the 8 - 9 foot range for the rivers usually. I have fished a custom 8'6" G Loomis and liked it alot, but, don't really want to drop that kind of ka-ching on something I may very well hose-up. If this first trial comes out even half-way OK, I will do another using a bit better blank (You know, never enough rods). So, I am leaning towards either a Cabelas or an entry level Rainshadow blank. It will be a spinning rod using a Shimano 4000 series reel. What are everybodies recomendations to get going on this? Am I on the right track, or do I need to re-evaluate? What is a good reel seat? So many questions I know, sorry, but everybody here seems to know what is going on and are willing to share that knowledge with somebody just starting.

Thanks in advance'
Scott Gordon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbe needs advice
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 01:19PM

I would definitely go cheap first. I spent big bucks on the parts for my first rod, a stand up tuna rig, unibutt, expensive blank and guides, and proceeded to "hose it up". Then I bought 3 el-cheapo blanks which turned out to be pretty nice and some dollar down rings and cork and parts, and my first practice rod, having learned (I probably excagerate) from my first debacle, turned out super. There are ALWAYS little problems, but if it was easy I probably wouldnt be interested. Now I can do wraps that look ok to me, and can concentrate on the details. In your case I would get the cheapest parts I could and write off that pole from the start as an experiment that will never see water. Stripping a screwed up pole down is no fun. Making my wife scowl and glower because I've proved once again that her mother was right about me is no fun either. Respectfully, Levi

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 01:21PM

well if you want a good cheap blank I would start here [shop.mudhole.com] I like these blanks, they work well for me . you need to be more specific! Are you drifting spawn on light light line? spinners? Floats? noodle rod? you can also get a good seat and grip there also [shop.mudhole.com] For guides Look into the Concept Guide system and set up to your reel.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 02:02PM

Unfortunately they are out of the 1143's, what I think is the best all around rod for steelhead. They still have some 1083's which I think should work well in your area. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good quality blank for your first try. If you rely on virtually any of the sponsers to match up your blank with quality components and then take your time putting it together there's no reason you can't build a rod that you'll be able to fish with for years. You probably won't be totally satisfied with the first one, but that's why we build more.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 07:39PM

Personally, I would NOT buy cheap stuff for your first rod! Why assume that you're going to screw it up?? It doesn't really take much to build a decent rod. I wouldn't go top of the line but I wouldn't go bottom either. If you're going to build a rod, build one that you want and will enjoy fishing with.
The key is to take your time and ask questions! If you're the least bit unsure (or even if you are sure), ask questions!!! You'll get plenty of help here. Don't make the mistakr of trying to go it alone.

The first thing that I would do is spend 15 bucka and get Tom Kirkman's book "Rodbuilding Guide" from one of the sponsors to the left. Best investment you can make

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 09:07PM

Scott- If you ice fish, I'd order the above rod and components along with some extra guides and cork and spin up a little ice rod for your starter rod and then on to your other project. It'll give you a bit of experience. You could use a broken rod's tip section for this ice rod...
Just an idea to gain you a little experience.
Definitely get some Rod Bond for your gluing purposes!!

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 11:59PM

Reread my post, and rethought my thoughts. I would have done better if I had a book, any book showing how to wrap. Just hate to see someone do what I did, I didnt mean to say buy something meaning to throw it away. I dont know what equipment you have or anything, I made my first rod litteraly spinning it by hand in front of the tv to dry the wraps, and because I didnt know how to tie off the threads, I wrapped the guides one at a time, then put on a dab of glue to hold the thread ends, then so on. I'm just goofy I guess, once I decided to do it, I wasnt waiting for a book or advice or anything, I was gonna do it. My first rod reflects who I am I suppose...capable of functioning, a little rough, and alot ugly! Respectfully, Levi

Posted by: Scott Gordon (---.carrinter.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:56AM

Thanks for the bit so far. I didn't plan on going bottom of the line for the first, but didn't want to start out near the top of it either. I plan on doing the best job for a first rod right off the bat, but know that there will be some flaws. Just didn't want to drop a car payment into the first one.
I usually drift spawn for the Steelhead, and use spinners/spoons (3/4oz tops) for the Salmon. everything is on 8 - 12# mono. Not really interested in the noodle rod type right now, just want a good fast action, med/heavy power blank.
Thanks for the info already guys,
Scott Gordon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster