I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding the Spline on 4 piece fly rod
Posted by: Bailey Sory (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:40PM

Greetings all,

I am new to this and need some advice on how to find the spline on a 4 piece rod fly. I suspect you have to find it on each individual piece correct?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Bailey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding the Spline on 4 piece fly rod
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:59PM

Bailey -

Welcome Bailey, always glad to have a new builder.

This is explained the FAQ, The button located above on the menu,
You'll find most of the questions you have as you begin your new hobby are located there.

Also you'll find answers to many questions by using the search function on this site.

Christian

Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 03:14AM

Bailey,
Blanks in 4 or more sections are usually pretty stiff, making it difficult, if not impossible for rod builders to effectively locate the spine/spline. Many manufacturers mark the spine on the inside of each ferrule to indicate the spine. Check the inside of the ferrules on each section of the blank.

You may have to settle for spining the tip only if the butt and middle sections are too stiff to flex. I would caution against putting too much pressure against a short section. You can easily snap it in two to create a 5 piece rod. Some manufacturers specifically warn against spining multi-piece blanks and will void a warrantly if the owner damages the rod while attempting to locate the spine.

You might also have to settle on aligning the guides on or opposite of any curvature of each blank section. You can determine if a rod is not perfectly straight by rolling it on a smooth surface, and then locate and orient the curve by sighting down each section. It take awhile before your mind's eye becomes accustomed enough to detect a slight curve.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 07:56AM

Spining stiff rod sections is made easier by decreasing resistance on the rod section. For example, using the table top method is tough because the resistance that the palm of your upper hand puts on the blank makes it tough for the blank section to spin into position. There are commercial spine finders that have a pair of sleeve bearings installed in a PVC tube. The rod section is slid into the tube and downward pressure is placed on the tip of the blank section. Even with this setup (I don't have one, but do use a pair of sleeve bearings as needed mounted into the jaws of my Craftsman Workmate) rotation is hampered unless you use a third sleeve bearing on the tip of the rod section. You may want to place a wrap of masking tape anywhere that the blank section comes in contact with the sleeve bearings. By using the third sleeve bearing the blank rotates very freely and you don't have to lever the blank very far to allow the spine to rotate to the top. This method works for me on rod sections and golf club shafts.

Pay attention to what R. Patrick notes above about voiding warrantee though.

Good Luck,
Jeff Shafer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster