I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Market
Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:29AM

This question will not advance the learning process this board provides so well but I'm real curious. If I lump all the different kinds of custom fishing rods that can be built into three general categories; say like salt water rods, fly rods, and general fresh water rods, what would the %'s break out to be?

If I was to venture a guess, and a completely uninformed one at that, I would estimate:
Fly Rods -40%
Salt Water Rods - 40%
Bass/Walleye/etc -20%

Anyone know what the real % are?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Market
Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:35AM

I can only speak for the rods I build, but it's 100% bass and maybe 50% of those are spinning, 40% are casting & 10% are flyrods. ;)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:17AM

I would say it's more like 50% freshwater bass/walleye type and 40% saltwater and only 10% fly. But, the better margins for most builders come on the fly rods and high end saltwater boat, trolling and surf.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:30AM

I would think that saltwater rods would be much smaller than freshwater just because of the sheer number of anglers that don't have access to saltwater. I live in Michigan and I would guess that we probably have more shoreline than the whole east/west coast. We have the largest number of boats registered

Mike

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.pdx.or.uspops.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 12:46PM

I outwrap for four different rod companies. My best estimate would be 70% freshwater, 20% fly and 10% saltwater rods. That is just based on what rods they send me to wrap. Right now I'm wrapping about 125 to 150 rods a week.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2005 02:41PM

Most of the Nation's population lives within a half day's drive (or less) of a saltwater coastlilne. Don't underestimate the market for custom saltwater rods.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 07:11PM

And, some of us build saltwater rods, and use them for freshwater fishing. Levi

Posted by: keith fischer (---.unfiltered.1.usr3.dialup.wiktel.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 09:10PM

Thanks everyone for straightening me out. Looks like I way over inflated the size of the fly rod market. I just assumed that there was a higher percentage of custom fly rods being built because of the frequent questions about blanks etc.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:00AM

Keith
I think that the answers are going to depend on the locality of the builder. For someone located in Colorado or one of the other "golden trout meccas" I think your fly rod numbers would be too low . In the mid to lower South and California where fishing for trophy largemouth bass is very popular it's likely that the emphasis would be on conventional bass rods. Here I build lots more saltwater rods because that's where my customer base is - I live on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay where there are lots of charter boats as well as private boats and bank/surf fishermen. The amazing recovery of the striped bass / rockfish in the bay pushes my saltwater rod numbers (trolling, jigging, bank fishing) way over what one would consider a "freshwater rod" - although a light/medium action conventional or spinning "bass rod" could just as easily be used for drifting/bottom fishing for croaker, flounder, spot or casting small jigs to breaking schools of bluefish when they show up. What I have seen is a growing interest in saltwater flyrodding for striped bass in the immediate area which was likley inspired by Joe Bruce's books and lectures on the topic at several shows, seminars and gatherings of Trout Unlimited and the Fly Fishing Show that's held at the University of Maryland each year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster