I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interested in rod builing.
Posted by: Adrian Rodriguez (---.111.231.98.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:26PM

I know its a very broad question, but what does it take to get started. I've got the time, money, and I think ability. I just don't know how to get started. Do I need to seek extensive formal instruction, or what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interested in rod builing.
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.175.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:46PM

ok, i'll weigh in... since i'm almost in the same situation. i just started "assembling" graphite fly rods. what are you interested in fishing?

the first one i made all the mistakes people alluded to. that's fine, it was a cheap forecast blank and will probably never land a fish due to no use. the secnd rod came out much better and i hope the third and fourth to be even better than that.

you have internet access and have found what i believe to be one of the best resources on rod building around. the library located here as well as the community will help you in many valuable ways.

i also picked up three books. tom kirkman's book (tom runs this web site), handcrafting a graphite fly rod by L.A. Garcia and flex coat's little pamphlet. no need for formal instruction to get started although seeing it live would surely help. that's retty much it for instruction. tools, that's practically another subject altogether, but i'll leave that for others.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.78.228.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:48PM

Hi Adrian, the best advise I have for you is to order a book called the "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman. Very good book and easy to understand. Many of the sponsors on the left carry it.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:55PM

Others will chime in; for sure. Biggest thing now that you have the desire to do it is to gain the knowledge of how to do it. You're at the right place. I've built for well over 20 years and I've learned more on this wonderful site in one year than in the previous 20+. And that's no bull!!

Thank you Tom!!

Putter

Date: January 20, 2005 11:55PM

I'm most interested in building 3-6 wt. trout rods. What wt. would be a good first.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.175.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 12:16AM

can you give us some more information adrian? have you fished before? "3-6 wt trout rods" leads me to believe you either fly fish or want to. do you currently have any rods? what type of water do you plan to fish? what's your budget?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 21, 2005 12:22AM

Rod Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman ~ $16
Step by Step instructions for crafting your own custom fishing rod. Building a spinning, casting, surf, fly or offshore rods, Rod Building Guide will explain the how and why in clear, concise text with nearly 100 full color photographs. 51 pages paperback.

THE NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building, by Dale P. Clemens ~ $30
Dale Clemens has completely rewritten this new book. He continues to display his expertise in his discussion of methods for building every kind of rod-from ultra-light fly to surf and offshore trolling. Following detailed explanations and illustrations, rod builders can design, built, and embellish rods to suit their particular desires and needs. Hardcover, 320 pages.

Step By Step Rod Building, by Flex Coat (FC) ~ $ 7
Contains over 100 clear illustrations, charts and guide sizing plus step-by-step instructions on all phases of rod constructions. Some topics included are: designing your own custom rod, determining the spine of the rod blank,
constructing cork handles, foam handle construction, installing the tip top, wrapping the guides, finishing the wraps and helpful tips for a professional finish. Great for both beginners and experienced rod builders. Softbound, 48 pages.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 12:23AM

I'd start with a 5wt as it's useful across the board and pretty standard when it comes time to ask for help. The best way to learn is to just do it and see what happens. Your areas for improvement will be obvious and you can attack those one at a time by reading old posts on this board, reading the books available, watching DVD's, and finaly by asking specific questions here that you can't seem to find the answer to. I'd reccomend buying an inexpensive "kit" for your first one or two rods. This way you will not have to worry about ordering the correct parts for your rod.

Date: January 21, 2005 12:32AM

I'm 23 and I've been flyfishing for eleven years. I own XP's in 3-6 wt., 2 wt. TXL, 6wt. SP, 8-10 Xi2's, along with a couple older Orvis rods. All are outfitted with Abel Super Series reels. I enjoy all trout water, but am partial to spring creeks. I don't want to say I have no budget, but I tend to buy on quality not price.

Date: January 21, 2005 12:36AM

I really appreciate all of this input. Please keep it coming. To whom it may concern, this is a awesome site!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 02:32AM

Sounds like you have good selection of rods, so I'd build one in the weight/action of your "Go To" rod, I'd recommend a Dan Craft blank. Dan's a great guy and an experienced angler and builder, he'll help you select the blank and components you need and help answer all your questions.

Spencer

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: January 21, 2005 02:40AM

Adrian:

Good selection of rods. I started out 38 years ago with a Sears 8 ft fiberglass Ted Williams special, I still have that rod.... Since then I built a 2wt up to 11/12 wt for myself. I too am partial to small spring fed streams. I have a friend that showed me how to build one after I asked a million questions. He had to, He was never going to get me to stop asking. I then went to a local rod builder and asked him to show me after I bought some of his flies. He gave me books and took me along to talk with Dale Clemens and Dick French. That was a while ago..... Anyway, ask a lot of questions, don't think anything is stupid, share your mistakes, keep reading and go somewhere that you can see a rod getting built. Look up your area and call the closest rod builder. They would probably be happy to show you. There are no secrets, no hidden agenda's, just pride in doing something that takes patience and skill. Besides, you may be their next costumer.

Randy

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 07:49AM

What does it take to get started?

1. Patience.
2. Tolerance for frustration.
3. Attenetion to detail.
4. Get a book on the basics.
5. Read lots on this forum.
6. Go to the photos page and browse around.
7. Buy a blank, guides, handle assembly, thread, etc, and go at it.
8. Be prepared to become addicted and have way more rods around the house than you could possibly need and then try to explain to wife just why you need all this stuff : -)

Good luck and enjoy

Scott

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:55AM

The National Rod Builders Show will take place in Charlotte, NC on February 26th and 27th. If you are near enough that you can attend, there will be a basic rod building seminar taking place both mornings at 10 AM. MIght be something to consider.

Posted by: Bill Drury (150.131.224.---)
Date: January 21, 2005 01:55PM

You don't need much training to get started. You may want to start with a less expensive blank (for practice) compared to some of those rods you already have, but you don't have to.

Web resources (very Useful!) - I suggest you go to Mud Hole tackle's web site (link from menu on the left of your monitor screen), then click on Rodbuilding 101 (menu on left of screen). This page contains links to a number of sites with instructions for the beginner ( and advanced builders). For a beginner, I recommend the Virtual Fly Shop (I think) site and Al Campbell's pages - although other sites may also contain good info for the beginner. This site (rodbuilding.com) has good information in both the FAQs page and in the Library.

Please ask if there are other questions we can answer.

The big problem in rod building, as I see it, is buying a blank that you will like as a finished rod, although you can't test cast it until the blank has been bought and work has been done in building it up. There are a few tools to help with the choice; I suggest you keep reading this sight and look for posts on the Cmmon Cents system I won't go into t he CCS here (because I'm tired of typing) but you may want to learn about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster