I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weaving names on the blank
Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 04:36PM

Help, Going to try and put a name and rod information on a blank using only thread. What size thread would work best and how many strands to use to get a decent size letering? I dont want a block type letter, as i would like some smoother lines for my letters and numbers. I was thinking size C for the wrap and size A for the lettering. ALso, how many wraps should one use between the leters in a name? Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weaving names on the blank
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 06:13PM

I use A thread for wrapping and for the weave. On the typically small dia. rods I build, size C thread doesn't look as good on butts or guides so I don't keep any around. Lots of guys use C thread for wrapping and A for the weave. My weaves are with a 30 thd loom which gives me just under about 1/4" weave.

Print or write the letters in the style you want on graph paper. If you want to use say, 40 threads in the pattern, enlarge your pattern to cover 40 blocks on your graph paper. Use this as your pattern with each line of blocks being a thread in each way. If you have 2 lines of blocks between letters, that means you'll have 2 wraps between letters. In a curve, if half or more of a block on your graph paper is filled in, call it a thread, if less than half, call it a wrap. A little tightening and packing and what looks on paper like a bunch or raggedy blocks will turn out to be a nice curve.

Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:47AM

i have superimposed a script on an excel file using squares 0.1in by 0.1 in and it seems quite complicated. How do you keep your thread (when using 40 threads) seperate. Do you number them so you know which ones should be on top and which ones need to be under the wraps? Also, do you use a method of holding them on the rod so they don't get tangled. I have been looking at my design, and it looks like it will take about 3 hours or so to personalize a name on the rod. How long should this take to do a wrap like this?

MI Builder

Posted by: mike hendrickson (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 10:40AM

James ,Dale Clemmons has a very good book on weaving letters it is not simple but you can under stand it. if you want send me an e-mail and i will e-mail you the directions. mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster