I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different products as semi-CP
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 10:15AM

I have tried Varathane 900 a varnish that performs as a semi-color preserver and really like the look. It allows the thread to darken and go translucent but preserves a little color (though darker than the original). Other varnishes basically allow the thread to take the color of the blank underneath. Is there any product other than the Varathane which will give me the same look in a water based product sold in a small bottle for convenience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different products as semi-CP
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:03AM

i have some experience with water based polyurathane as a color preserver but i don't think that will get
you exactly where you want to go. three coats of olympic water based poly and i have an opaque wrap that is very close to the spool color. varnish overcoat does not darken it any more. you might want to pose this question on clarks classic bamboo site. those guys have some experience getting the most out of varnishes and color preservers. you will have to register to post on the site.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 12:44PM

In playing around with silk I tried clear nail varnish, thinned with isopropyl alcohol. Didn't go with an exact ratio, but enough alcohol to turn it milky without separating the solvent and solute. Probably in the 3 (varnish) to 1 (alcohol) ratio. The mix is watery, and settles after a couple of days. I shake it up, apply a flooding coat and let dry. When it does dry properly it's only a shade darker than spool colour, and no transparency. More noticeable after a couple of days.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: January 20, 2005 02:59PM

Gudebrod one part finish #840 gives alike effect, the thread doesn't darken as much as it does with epoxy or Perma Gloss

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 04:39PM

Varathane Crystal Clear Diamond, blue can, will give "off-the-spool" color preservation. Two or three coats thinned slightly (10%) with water.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 20, 2005 08:11PM

Liquitex or other brand name gloss medium sold in art supply stores. Water-based product that works wonders. It's also cheap.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 10:23PM

I did a couple test wraps today using garnet and rust Gudebrod, then sprayed it with Krylon Crystal Clear, let it dry about an hour and then put on a coat of Flex Coat Lite and a coat of Perma Gloss on the other. No color change, in fact the color is somewhat brighter than on the spool. The only problem I can see in using it is that a person would have to mask the rod to avoid any overspray on the blank. I use the spray on inscriptions and that works great

Anyone else ever tried it?

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: January 21, 2005 12:59AM

Yes, Bob
I use spray laquers for inscriptions, too

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster