I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dryer question
Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.ma.charter.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 04:44PM

I hae built a dryer and am finishing up a chuck, and it dawned on me - how do you use this thing!? What I mean is, do you coat and dry the entire assembled rod? I thought I would do it in sections (4 section 9' fly rod) but the chuck designs I've seen seem to only work on the larger diameter handle only and not on the smaller rod sections. Am I missing something?

cheers,
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dryer question
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 04:52PM

You can easily make an insert for the larger diameter chuck, such as with a cork ring, with the ring reamed to the appropriate smaller diameter. Blank sections that are a bit (or even a lot) too small for a given chuck or insert can easily be built up by wrapping with strips of any thick, pliable material held together with masking tape. This is especially handy when building long, 2-section surf rods.

Date: January 19, 2005 04:55PM

Thanks Tom. So the practice of coating and drying a section at a time is reasonable?

Michael

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 05:34PM

Perfectly reasonable. I've even done long one-piece rods in two stages.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:34PM

Michael,
Because I didn't want to set up a dryer with one motor and turn 9' fly rods fully assembled, I build my dryer with two motors side by side so I could dry in two sections. One motor has a chuck which holds the reel seat.

The other motor has a drive that has a glue stick tapered to a narrow diameter (I simply used a sharp knife to shave the glue stick into the taper). The female ferrule of the upper half of the rod slides over the tapered glue stick. The glue stick is soft, and wedges firmly into the female ferrule. Initially I tapered a dowel, but the dowel didn't flex and the rod wobbled as it turned. The tapered glue stick flexes as the rod turns so the other end of the rod rests nicely into a separate V shaped holder.

You can see my chuck and tapered glue stick at fishingphotos.net (see equipment). My images are actually of my earlier version dryer, but the chuck and glue stick are the same.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jeff Shafer

Date: January 19, 2005 09:52PM

Jeff, thanks, that's a great idea. I aslo like the pipe insulation for the other chuck. I'll try both of those ideas.

Michael

Posted by: Dana Willie (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:51PM

Michael,

I ended up taking an old thread spool from the fly tying bench and epoxied a dowel into the hole. Then I shimmed the OD of the spool with masking tape to get a snug fit inside the chuck. My chuck ID was nearly the size of the spool so it only took a couple wraps of masking tape. I then tapered the dowel so it would fit the tip or mid sections of the blank. It was easy enough to do that I plan to fix up a couple more spools with different sized dowels so I can switch between these as I work on different blanks.

I also like the idea mentioned by Jeff and I may just have to try a glue stick.

For your 4 section rod, you may want to work on the butt and first mid section at the same time. The same thing for the 2nd mid and tip. Maybe this would help cut your drying time down.
Also, you would only have to fit the glue stick or dowel for the 2nd mid since you could use the normal ferrules to connect the 2nd mid/tip and the butt/first mid .
(hope this makes since - I am not the best at explaining things in writing)

Best of luck with getting the rod completed.

Dana

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 08:58AM

Get the black chuck from Cabela's. Costly but takes all and any size blanks and handles

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 10:44AM

Bill's talking about the Streamside chuck. Really Nice! I wish some of the sponsors would carry it!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster