I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite High Build
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:27PM

I've been using Aftcote finish lately and like its working properties. I like the way it flows, and like that it's very clear. But now I'd like to try a high build thread epoxy. A non-yellowing formula would be my preference. I should add that I wasn't that impressed by regular LS Supreme so am interested in knowing if their high build is vastly different from their light version.

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite High Build
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:38PM

I've done little with the regular LS; a lot more with the high build. They do seem about the same to me for working-wise; learning curve properties.

Posted by: steven church (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:42PM

Hello Jeff,

I've used both an prefer the hi build to the regular LS. Much easier to apply then Either aftcote or LS regular. Usely only need one coat, self leveling, an very few bubbles. You can also aid small amount of heat to release any bubbles that do appear.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:43PM

My favorites:
American Tackle Hi build - easy to work with / slow cure & set up time
Glass Coat - when fast set up is both practical and necessary
Classic Rod Coat - easiest to work with (most forgiving on 50/50 mix)

note: I haven't tried the newer finishes yet (AFTCOAT / PacBay)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 01:53PM

My vote vould definately be LS High build. Just curious! What didn't you like about LS regualr???

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 02:04PM

Used just about all of them. Then figured I need thin coats some times, then thick coats some time?? So now I use Glass Coat. When I need thin coats, thin it, thick, don't thin. Tint it and make colored rings, all types of good stuff. Why have several laying around?? Works very well for me

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:20PM

Mike,
I found that with LS my finish, especially on longer areas like my butt wraps and inscription area, dried with waves. Yes, that's a sign of too much epoxy, but I also found that my guide wraps ended up lumpy, and that the LS didn't self level very well. When I switched to Aftcote, I loved it. It self levels very well, but is pretty light. While I don't mind building up three coats with the Aftcote, I'd like to try a higher build on the long inscription area (2"-3"). I will probably stay with Aftcote on my guide wraps, on light to medium weight fly rods.

Recently I pulled out the first rod I did with LS Supreme (and another) and overall the finish looked worse than all of the rods I did with Aftcote. So I scuffed it up and added a coat of Aftcote. Much better, much more level.

What has led me to want to try a higher build? A couple of days ago I added a feather inlay to a fly rod, over a thread wrapped area which had two coats of Aftcote. I added two coats of Aftcote over the inlay. I think building up four coats resulted in a somewhat uneven look (nowhere near the wavy look of my LS coats), and I'm hoping that less coats of a high build in the inscription area will result in a more level appearance. So I'd like something that self levels as well as Aftcote. If Aftco is listening in, there is an opportunity here....

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 02:51PM

I still like to use Custom Poly Build - available at Fish stix and C& G tackle. Very easy to measure and use and not so long an open time as some of the others. Went through a phase with glass coat which is on the fast side too. Found the LS supr to have different characteristics of use but a satisfactory result and can be applied in a low build application too.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Date: January 20, 2005 02:52PM

I still like to use Custom Poly Build - available at Fish stix and C& G tackle. Very easy to measure and use and not so long an open time as some of the others. Went through a phase with glass coat which is on the fast side too. Found the LS supr to have different characteristics of use but a satisfactory result and can be applied in a low build application too.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Date: January 20, 2005 02:52PM

Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster