I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help With 7 yr. Son
Posted by: Steve Loper (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 10:22PM

He wants his own spinning rod, I only build offshore rods.
I Need Helpppppp!!!!!!!!!
want to build a ultra Light
something to his size he's about 4' Tall & maybe on a good 55lbs. (Man would he make a nice fish, hehe)
What Blank ?

guildes & how Many, & Size ,Seat & grips?
This would Be a great help,if someone could help me set this up.
He is becoming a Fishing Nut!!!!!!!!!!
Also would like the action to be were a Pin Fish would Bow him up aswell
Thanks
Steve Loper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help With 7 yr. Son
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 11:04PM

My son, also 7 for 2 more days, surprised me by being good at spinning reels. I would pick any ultra lite 1 peice, probably fiberglass (more durable). Really, you should contact mud hole on the left of the forum, they have spinning rod build tips, and Im sure will be glad to set you up with a kit, or whatever. (I cant say what their kits are like, I dont know. I have built an offshore rod, For an ultra light, its the same only smaller. Good luck to you and your son, Steve. My Father started me young and I have fished almost all my life, wish I woulda had a rod in the Persian Gulf. Respectfully, Levi

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 08:47AM

I have kids around that age and have been looking at some of the new Forecast blanks. Seem to be great for the money. You can even get a 6-12lb 6'6" in 3-piece, which might be nice for those family outings where you have to carry it in. One question, are you sure you want to go spinning rather than spin-cast? The last time I took a 7 year old out with a spinning reel, we had problems with line coming off in loops and tangling. It is never a problem for you or me probably; I think it has to do with how often they have slack in the line and try to reel. Next one I build for the kids will be set up to use a Zebco 33, maybe with braid. I know that a Shimano spinner is superior in many ways, but I feel like I need to keep it pretty bullet-proof for young kids so they will enjoy learning to fish. I will move them up to spinning, baitcasting and fly later. My .02.

Posted by: Ed Kime (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 08:49AM

When our grandson was 7 years old I help him build a spinning rod. I like the Forecast SP721-2 two pcs. rods and they worked out very good for panfish and trout. You can get the 5 and 5 1/2 foot 2 pcs. blanks if the 6 foot is to long for him. Let him try some finished rods at local sports store to find the lenght and action that suits him. Seems the 2 pcs. rods limit brakeage in traveling in cars. If you have him help you build it I think he may like it better. It does not have to be perfect just so he has his hand in it. Maybe put his name on it. I built one for our 10 year old grand daughter for Chjristmas waiting for the Kansas quarter to come out to put it one as but cap since she was born in Kansas.

Good Luck,
Edwin Kime

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:40AM

Steve,

I have a grandson that age and have built him several spinning rods. What you might consider is outting an "under" spin cast reel on it. Handling a bail and learning with a spinning reel can be tough at that age. By using the under spin cast, He will be using a normal spinning rod and can easily make the switch to regular spinning reels

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster