I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Measuring up
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 05:04PM

How do I measure a blank to order parts? In addition, what type of scale is best for weighing blanks and guides etc?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring up
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 06:24PM

What parts are you ordering that require measurements?? The only thing that I can think of would be a blank exposed casting real seat. On that, you would measure the blank diameter at the spot that the opening would be located on your blank.

Can't help you on the scale, but I see reloading scales mentioned a lot here.

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 06:30PM

The other part that requires measuring is the winding check, unless you use one of those rubber ones that stretch. I build only fly rods and always order the blank and reel seat first, then after I get the reel seat and rip fitted, I measure for the winding check and order the guides and winding check. Takes a bit longer to get it all done, but I always get the right size winding check.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 06:31PM

In addition to making sure the reel seat is large enough to go over the butt end, you might want to measure the blank's diameter about 12" from the butt end to determine what size winding check you'll need. If the measurement falls between two sizes, I would order the larger of the two as you can pack thread into the front opening of the check to keep it concentric on the blank.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 09:14PM

I have a reloading scale made by RCBS for weighing. It weighs in grains, which can be converted, of course, to any unit of weight. They are inexpensive and highly accurate (or I'd of blown myself up long, long ago). Mine is mechanical; it works just fine. There are digital ones, also, but I haven't seen the justification for the added expense.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 11:28PM

If the butt of the blank is .750, the tip is size 7 (or 7/64) and the blank is 6' long then subtract .109375 from .750 and divide by 72, the number of inches. This gives you a reduction in taper of .009 per inch. So if you wanted to know the diameter of a blank at 12 inches from the butt, you multiply .009 times 12, then subtract that from .750 to get .642. This can give you the general idea for reel seat, cork ring diameter, If you care to break it down into fractions of an inch it will give you winding check sizes at any location on the blank, all this assuming a straight taper, no fast taper tip sections, although it would work well there too, now that I think about it. Hope this helps, Respectfully Levi

Date: January 19, 2005 12:15AM

HUH!!!!!!!! I hope you're happy now that you've given me a headache!!!! LOL

Mike

Date: January 19, 2005 12:54AM

Hey, Mike, me three!! Darned math majors, anyhow!!

Putter Pi R squared

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:39AM

No, actually Pi are round!

Bilgee

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 01:49PM

Mike , Putter, If you actually saw me you would never think I would be capable of math. My head is pointy and I have the blank gaze of someone obviously incapable of higher thought. Levi

Date: January 19, 2005 02:01PM

Gee, Levi, Sounds like we may be related!!!!!

Mike

Date: January 20, 2005 08:53AM

Me three!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster