I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank finish flaked off
Posted by: Bill Drury (150.131.234.---)
Date: January 18, 2005 02:19PM

I decided to replace the double foot guides on my GLoomis GL3 (matte gray finish) with single foot guides. When I took the df guides off one section of the rod, some of the blank finish came off with the epoxy. There are spots as large as 6 mm x 3 mm, with no blank finish on at all - that is, the graphite is exposed in those spots.

Is this a common occurrence? I was surprised to see it happen. BTW, I used nothing other than thumbnail/fingernail pressure and a little heat. The thread finish had been LS Supreme.

What to do now? It seems that giving the entire blank a new finish job is a lot of work (that I didn't plan on getting into) and I might mess things up big time. Some of the spots I can cover with guide wraps but not all since I am going from df to sf guides.

Is there something equivalent to "touch up paint" I could use to cover the spots - even if the spots would be plainly visible afterward? Permagloss with Testor's paint blended in? Maybe Klass Kote?

Thanks for your advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank finish flaked off
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.138.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 02:28PM

I don't think the finish should come off that easy?? I would try to talk to Loomis and see what they say

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2005 04:38PM

Blanks are not neccessarily intended to have guides installed and then removed. If the blank finish/paint was applied to a surface that was less than perfect, it's entirely likely that when you try to remove odd bits of epoxy or other finish you'll end up pulling up bits and pieces of the paint coating the blank. This is not at all uncommon when trying to remove guides and finish. Ask any rod repairman and he'll tell you the same thing. Happens all the time, particularly on the painted matte finish blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.169.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:46PM

Unless he used Permagloss I don't think it should have, or dug into the blank with a razor blade. Clears usually don't adhear well and just tend to peal off with out taking the quality clear of a rods finish

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.169.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:48PM

When I redo my painted blanks I just about have to take a grinder to them to get any finish off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster