I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss - How many coats are enough?
Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 01:51AM

Does anyone use Perma Gloss almost exclusively?

I'm working on a multi-piece Dan Craft flyrod using Perma-Gloss for the first time. So far, I have applied 4 coats on each wrap. Only a couple of the wraps feel barely smooth.

I can still detect ripples in the finish caused by the individual thread wraps.

How many coats of finish have you applied before you felt the wraps were evenly and smoothly coated?

Some wraps are actually a little rough due to bubble forming and breaking on the surface.
Can Perma-Gloss be sanded to create a smooth surface, and then reapplied as another thin coat of Perma Gloss, to fill in any scratches caused by the sanding?

I like the no mix feature, although I think it is ironic that it takes a so little time to apply high build formulas like Flex Coat, but they take so much time to measure and mix properly. On the other hand, it take so little time to pour Perma Gloss onto your application dish, but it take so much time to apply to reach a proper smooth thickness.

Patrick Vernacchio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss - How many coats are enough?
Posted by: mike taillefer (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 03:22AM

Pat, permagloss is a little tricky at first.
If you have bubbles you may have put it on too thick or not let it dry completely between coats. the stuff outgasses like crazy and if there is a heavy layer it seems to trap the bubbles as it thickens. for thin a smooth finish i have used one coat of permagloss followed by a very thin coat of low build epoxy. it is hard to keep the permagloss even for the number of coats required for a smooth finish and this seems easier to me, others will have there own techniques. that is rodbbuilding. don't be afraid to experiment, also be sure to let the permagloss dry well before coating with epoxy and visa versa.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 10:37AM

Patrick

I use Perma Gloss or spar urethane on all my fly rods and have never had the problems you speak of. What are you using to apply it with?

I have found that a 1/4" sable angular artist brush works the best. The fist coat should be be fairly thin and brushed out in one direction along the rod. Let dry at least 6 hrs, longer if the temp is below 65. I find that 3 to 4 coats with 6 hours drying time between coats produces a very nice finish.

Don't put your brush directly in the Perma Gloss bottle, pour what you are going to use into a small glass container, such as a shot glass. Don't use a plastic cup as Perma gloss will eat it up. The fumes from both Perma Gloss and urethane are hazordous so have plenty of ventilation and I would recommend wearing a respirator that has a organic vapor cartridge.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 18, 2005 11:42AM

You might try applying the first and second coat of Perma Gloss with a plastic artist palette knife and press the sticky mixture into the thread grooves and wipe off the excess. This fills the grooves and allows fewer overall coats.

Date: January 18, 2005 04:52PM

I pour less than a thimble full of PG into a 4 inch aluminum pie pan lined with foil and apply thin coats of finish only on the wraps using brushes with half inch bristles. I realize now that during application, I go back and apply another "thin" coat to each wrap about an hour later, probably too soon after the first wet coat.. Don, unlike Flex Coat, Crystal Sheen or many other two part finishes, Perma Gloss is far too thin to work with palette knife.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 07:50PM

I get pretty good results with it and usually need about 4 or 5 coats on a fly rod wrapped with A thread. I don't mind if the surface still shows slight thread ridges as long as you can't really feel them with your thumbnail. I just want to make sure I have enough on there so that there are no bare or dry areas over the thread. I do want it covered. I don't expect it to look like epoxy but usually by 4 or 5 coats the surface is smooth. It's thin, but smooth, which is what I'm after on lighter fly rods.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:26PM

I like to do what Mike has said , a coat of Permagloss or 2 , then low build FC , or LS............ Done....perfect for flyrods. Have fun, John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.olive.dsl.arctic.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 10:58PM

William and John, I primarily use high build formulas, but I must say that I do like the look of the the thin coat build-up without the resulting bulk. I don't know if I will adopt Perma Gloss as the primary finish for all of my rods, but by giving it a go, I certainly intend to use it again. I appreciate everyone's input, and I hope I get a few more before the thread moves onto to page 2.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Don Davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:55AM

Pat. Try the palette knife anyway. I have been using it with damar varnish which is also very thin.

Date: January 19, 2005 07:00PM

Don, I'll give it a try to the spinning rod I'm building. I like the minimalist look.
Thanks for the input.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 25, 2005 12:47PM

"Don't put your brush directly in the Perma Gloss bottle, pour what you are going to use into a small glass container, such as a shot glass. Don't use a plastic cup as Perma gloss will eat it up. The fumes from both Perma Gloss and urethane are hazordous so have plenty of ventilation and I would recommend wearing a respirator that has a organic vapor cartridge"

DITTO.

Four coats should be enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster