I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides or rollers???
Posted by: DIRK HESEMAN (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 02:12PM

I have 2 - 5'6" composite 80# blanks that I'm going to start building in the near future. I can't decide to go with spiral wrapped guides, spiral rollers, or traditional rollers.

These rods are for fishing the gulf out of Pensacola. Hopefully, they will see some use trolling and chunking for tuna and drops for swords. We don't have a chair, so all the fighting will be done stand-up. There might be some occasional use for bottom fishing, but I usually don't like to go that heavy.

What do y'all think? Personally, I'm leaning towards the spiral rollers...

Thanks!

Dirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides or rollers???
Date: January 17, 2005 03:32PM

I just realized that the @#$%& spiral roller tops only go up to a size 14. It looks like I need at a minimum size 18 and would probably go with a 20. Is there a reason that the @#$%& tops are only available in the smaller sizes?

OK, so I guess the question now is spiral wrapped with guides or just a normal set of rollers?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:32PM

I wish someone else would have answered this question before me as I don't like being the bearer of someone else's bad news. At the present there is a problem that occurs when trolling the @#$%& rollers with heavy tackle. When the rod is locked in place inside the rod holder and a fish hits & pulls the tip in a sideways fashion the line will roll up the side of the transitional guides. This is a concern for anyone fishing heavy tackle in a trolling situation.

This 'problem' was only found out last week. Dennis Braid & Dick Meirowitz were fishing out of Morehead City for giant BFT aboard Pete Manuel's 'Delta Dawn'. Dick was fishing a spiral roller built by Capt. Neil Faulkner. While Dick has caught many fish with spiral rollers, even yellowfins over 200# with the very rod he was fishing on the 'Delta Dawn', he had never fished the rod in a trolling situation. I met Dick at the dock last Tuesday afternoon to see how their trip went and was lucky enough to see the problem first hand. We ran several tests in the cockpit of the boat with Dick's rod as well as with my 130# spiral roller that I had brought with me. The transition guides on both rods are set up rather differently yet they both experienced the same problem when the line was pulled latterally from the tip. When running a static distribution test the line is normally pulled straight down so this problem was not discovered until put into a real-world fishing situation.

Solutions to this problem are being worked on as we speak, but caution should be taken by anyone fishing heavy tackle in a trolling situation where the rod is in a fixed postion. I will be fishing my bent butt spiral roller with a golf ball in the rod holder. This will allow the rod to pivot upon a fish strike.

Again I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but no one else had spoken up. Had I not seen the situation first hand I would not have gone into such great detail. After having lunch with Dick, Dennis, & Pete I spoke with both Neil Faulkner (master builder who built Dick's rod) and John Mantele (designer of the @#$%& rollers). Everyone involved is concerned and working on a solution.

Keep in mind that fishing for giant BFT is an EXTREME fishing situation. No problems had occured from the use of @#$%& rollers until last week.

As a side note, Dick Meirowitz doesn't believe the @#$%& rollers were the cause of his line failure on last week's BFT trip. It seems that earlier in the day the spectra had become wrapped around the tip and reeled in for some length before being discovered. The frayed spectra was most likey the reason for any line failure, but this brought attention to other aspects of the rod that are potential problems.

I'm very sorry for such a long post. Jay

Date: January 17, 2005 04:51PM

Oh, that sounds like a bad deal. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:57PM

I'd spiral wrap it with Fuij LBSGs. I fish a GF765ml wrapped this way with 80# test line and 27# drag at strike.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster