I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubbles in finish
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 08:51AM

I finished a rod last night and the decorative wrap -- only in about a two-ince section where the wewave is -- has lots of micro-bubbles. Can I give it a light sanding with 1000 grit and recoat? Will that obliterate the bubbles? My appreciation in advance, JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubbles in finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:26AM

It will only remove the bubbles if you sand far enough to reach them. And with 1000 grit paper, you'll be sanding for a long, long while. You'll want to start with something more like 320 and the progress through finer grades once you reach the level where the bubbles are. Whatever you do, don't sand into the thread.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 02:01PM

You applied too much finish for the first coat. The 1st coat needs to be very thin, just a wetting coat that does not build up any thickness. Many of the bubbles you see are trapped where the finish was applied to thickly.

A good way to get rid of these bubbles if to flame the finish before the finish sets up. Do a search of the archive on how yo do this.

What finish are you using?

Lou

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:53PM

Lou, I was using FlexCoat. In the past, I have had similar problems with DuraGloss, but the directions on DuraGloss say not to flame the finish or it will cause MORE bubbles.

Tom, I sanded a little with 340, then 1000 grit and put on another coat of finish.

All is well, now. Thank you both, JC

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2005 05:26PM

When sanding, do not skip between grades. If you start with 320, then go to 400, 600, 800 and 1000. That allows each to remove the sanding marks left by the previous grade.

Glad all is well and that things still worked out for you.

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:45PM

Jim'; On the butt wrap I found there is always air under the wraps where they over lap. The worst time I had was when I used a alcohol burner to pop a few bubbles. I used heat repeatedly on a couple of areas and when I went back later had more bubbles. What I figured out was I was heating epox. and it was expanding air under wrap causing it to leak up toward surface , now I heat a bubble and let cool for a bit then go back to it. It has saved me a lot of headaches Hopes this helps it has worked for me.Ed.... In fact what I've done a few times was to heat wrap with hair dryer before applying epox. that way the blank cools as epox. is applied and @#$%& it in as it cools and shrinks. It made sense to me but I'm new at this and may have spoken out of turn.. Caution. Flex coat set up pretty fast......

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 11:32AM

JC
Give me a call when you need assistance or when you are going to do something new and exciting. I like to watch and sometimes, I even try to help with a word from experience. Don't be a stranger.

RC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster