I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rayon Thread ????
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 01:38AM

There's a guy on @#$%&, called rammrod30, selling rayon wrapping thread. Anyone know who makes it and somewhere else to get it??

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rayon Thread ????
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 01:58AM

The rayon thread I have seen is terrible it is fuzzy and weak
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 02:18AM

I'd basically stay away from it because of posts that I've read on here. I haven't used it, though, Bill.

Putter

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:19AM

Thanks for the advise guy's. He has a twister thread, that I really want, that I've not seen anywhere else. It's orange yellow twisted together. I'm not going to buy from them anyway, but I sure would like to have those colors if someone else had them.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:00AM

William I currently doing a UV fade test for a forum member Mick Comesky here in Australia. After 3 days in the sun maderia and sulky rayon faded from black to a clear smokey colour now after 13 days it is clear as flurocarbon fishing line this rayon has been only coated with Glass Coat cp the ones that have finish on are all fading but at a slower rate rate probably due the UV inhibators. Mick and myself believe that this is a chemical reaction between the rayon,UV light and glass coat cp. The test is very involved with different cp's, finish and threads. The plain rayon thread without any finish or cp is holding up the best but is fading at a constant rate, all other rayons have begun to fade at an alarming rate.
So far one warning has come to light, Rayon thread, UV light and Glass coat CP don't mix, and rayon thread is fading after 10 days in the sun with or without finish on.
Hope this Helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2005 06:59AM by Myles Boon.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:22AM

William; do not be afraid to buy from him. He has a 99.9 positive rating. I have purdhased quite a few items from him and have been very happy with the product

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 08:50AM

Nothing against the seller. He may have great ratings and be honest, but Rayon thread isn't for rodbuilding, no matter who is selling it!!

Mike

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:42AM

I have some of this thread in the orange/yellow from Rammrods. It is very nice looking, but very difficult to work with. It is very fuzzy and breaks very easily. I would like to find the same color in nylon. I don't know who carries the nylon in this color. I have never had a problem with Rammrods.

Ed

Posted by: wayne kennedy (---.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:38AM

I have some of the twisted rayon threads made by coats & clark that I sometimes use for tying flies.
I bought mine at Hancock Fabrics store. I have seen it at walmart also. It looks nice but I don't know
about durability.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:53AM

I'm sure he's a great guy and all & he is a great @#$%&, but I have to wonder about someone who says they use Rayon for guide wraps. I've tried Rayon from a few companies, and it's no good for anything to do with Rod Wrapping. Most of it was touched on previously, but to re-iterate: it's weak, fuzzy, and if you post a link to teh picture of what this thread is you like, maybe someone can find you a sutable match on the color cards they have in a Polyester thread - that actually works for Rodbuilding.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 12:10PM

I also have purchased several times from Rammrods30 and have always been satisfied(other items not Rayon thread).His shipping is usually 2 days max after payment and pretty close to actual postage(no excessive handeling charge)If only we could get him to sponser here...

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2005 12:11PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:46PM

My post was purely to afirm his Honesty, Items I have purchased were Blanks guides Etc. NOT thread. Sorry If I clouded the issue

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 04:55PM

I didn't mean to discredit anyone - I just wanted to make sure that Rayon = no good for Rodbuilding in my experiance, and seemingly the experiance of a few others.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:14PM

Billy, Rayon = bad....wanna buy a couple thousand yards? I'll give you the thread, but you can't have the plastic spools.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:17PM

Save plastic spools for Metallix.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:03PM

I agree that I don't think Rayon should be used anywhere near guide feet, but I've used it in buttwraps with no troubles. The Gudebrod and Sulky stuff I've used have never been fuzzy, but I can't speak for other brands.

As Myles mentioned, what happens to it when you apply glass coat CP to it and then get it in sun is pretty scary... actually... all threads, the more I'm finding out, but that's a whole different subject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster