I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inscription direction
Posted by: Dana Willie (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:02PM

I am fairly new to this phorum and I hope this is not a question that was recently asked.

Is there a certain direction that the inscription should be written, or is it up to the builder?

I have some old rods that show the inscription going left-to-right towards the cork grip. Some of the newer rods (Sage or Redington) go right-to-left away from the cork handle.

I have several graphites built that I am ready to inscribe and want to find out if there is a standard within rodbuilders that I should follow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inscription direction
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:14PM

I would say personal preference but I THINK most probably go left to right from butt to tip. I do.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:12PM

Hey Mike, does that mean since us Aussies drive on the other side of the road, our high and low air pressure system go it opposite direction to yours should we do it the opposite way. LOL

Its hot down hear 110F and its time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:17PM

I thing that would be the way you guys do it! After all, your flushes go in reverse, why not everything else!!

Is that in the shade??????

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:26PM

In the shade would have to be at least 65C in the Sun.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:48PM

I put the signatures on (when I used to write them on the rod) from left to right (with the butt of the rod to my left) simply because I could start at the distance I wanted to from my butt wrap. Doing it the other way caused me problems with the spacing-sometimes I'd end up too far from it for my liking, sometimes way too close or I'd even have to start "squeezing" the letters closer together (and then wiping it off and re-doing it).

Putter

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 04:33AM

If it were me I would hold the rod in my casting hand and write in that direction. Example if I held the rod in my right hand I would start at the tip and end at the butt
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:17AM

I agree with Bob. I'm a lefty, When I hold the rod in that hand I can read the inscription best if it starts at the butt side. When I make a rod for a righty, I start from the tip side. Nothing quite like fishing a custom rod and looking down to read your name on it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.47.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 01:37PM

Holding rod ( in fishing position ) Right side - butt to tip, Left side, tip to butt.
Which way are they suppose to flush??? LOL

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:51AM

I too did my hand inscriptions from butt to tip until I started ordering decals. Now I like the way it looks when I can read it while it's in my hand. Also, all of my fish decals used to swim "off" the rod until I read someones opinion on here that they liked the idea of the fish swimming up the rod or towards them. Dang Superstitions!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster