I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cheap Rods
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:56PM

I have been at a major fishing show (several hundred vendors) maning a booth for a walleye club I belong to and the junk that is selling like hotcakes is unbelievable Most are brands I never heard of. The blanks don't seem to bad (imports) but the components are really cheap. They are selling rod/reel packages starting at $19.95!! Theae aren't all "dummies" that are buying them. A lot tell me they have been using them heavy, some in tournaments, and though they realize what they are, have no problem with them.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Eagle Claw and Shakespeare Boat rods 8' 2 pc ugly yellow with blue wraps Similar to Gator or Ugly Stick (unsanded). Thes are the standard trolling/downrigger/dipsy rods used by probably 90% of the charter boats and serious walleye/salmon guys here in Lake Erie, western basin and Lakes Michigan/Huron

These things were selling for #9.95 with Eagle Claw Line counter reels!!!!!! These rods get heavy/use and abuse and I have NEVER seen a broken one. I replace guides for people now and then and have even converted several to spiral wraps but there is no way anyone is going to get someone to switch!!!!!

No point to this post except to rant a little!!

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cheap Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:18PM

It's not hard to build a durable rod. It is somewhat hard, if not impossible, to build a rod that is both nearly indestructible and yet very effecient and very sensitive.

Trying to get a guy to switch from a $19.95 rod to a good custom rod isn't easy. In fact, I'm not sure it's even prudent to try. The guys who buy rods for under $50, even $100, are not usually potential customers for custom rods. They use what they use and they get by. They'd never understand why a person would or should spend more when the cheap rods work just fine (all things being relative). In my opinion, they're not the market custom builders should be going after.

The thing to keep in mind is that you and everyone on this site is working at a different level. Perhaps fishing at a different level too. Remember what Randall Kaufman said, "You can get by with a broomstick that has had some line guides taped on it, but there will be some drawbacks."

I love to ski. I think my last pair of skis cost me over $1,000. I have another $1500 to $2000 worth of ski tuning equipment. My equipment and state of tune are fantastic. I enjoy using good equipment. Others around me get by on poorly maintained rental equipment or skis with concave or convex bases with improper edge angles. But they all seem to have fun. Most wouldn't know what to do with my equipment. Perhaps this isn't a good analogy with regards to fishing rods but you do have to look at the overall picture.

Average fishermen use average equipment. And they catch fish and have fun. If you want to work on converting a few of them over to good equipment, go after the ones who seem to like it more than the average guy, or those who seem to enjoy better than average equipment whether it be their lawn mower, car, sunglasses, wine, etc. They'll be more apt to understand where you're coming from.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:23PM

Does not sound possible. But I believe it. I went to the coast to fish last fall and did not take a spinning rod. Took a reel just in case. When I got there I decided I needed a spinning rod. Went to the drugstore (in a resort town) and bought a 7', 2 piece rod for 19.95. Garcia, I think. Nice rod, ceramic guides, as gooda cork as I can get from our suppliers. China.. Builders got to sell rods on something other than cost.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:27PM

I wouldn't even try to convert them. The thing that gets me with the charters and serious trollers is that they have a point (I think). Sensitivity doesn't mean much when the rod is attached to an 8 lb cannonball or large planer boards and being pulled a couple miles an hour through 2-3 foot waves. These same captains (some of them) really appreciate a custom jigging rod where it counts!

I sure wish Shakespeare was still selling their blanks! .

Mike

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:02PM

Have done some bottom fishing. Noticed on the boat that I fishe on the most that the captain a nice rod in a special locker when he comes down to the deck to catch a couple of fish. (And it sure looks like he knows how to read his fish finder to decide when to fish too). The main advantage of the solid glass rod is that they are less likely to break when they come down on the rail hard under load. I sure can't blame the lower cost boats for using them.

Date: January 15, 2005 11:22PM

These things ar graphite!!!! For what they're used for, they're good rods! Like I said, you can't build a comparble blank for anywhere close to that cost

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 04:53AM

To each his own... One thing I do know is that you well not find a good Steelhead drift rod in that bunch of rods. Also after a year of fishing those kind of rods usually need guides replaced and the reel seat locking nut is broken. On the West Coast in WA. The charter guys use to keep me busy during my winter slow time. Fixing broken guides and replacing reel seats. One thing for sure the blanks held up.
I have relitives from OK who cat fish and a they well use is a Wal-Mart special. I have showed them some of my Sturgeon rods they like the rods but they say they would never buy one., because for 19.95 they can get what they want at Wally- World.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.47.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 02:15PM

Sure. 5 out of every 100 fisherman ( may ) want a rod built?

And with all the info on the internet on How to Build one - you could probably cut that down.

Posted by: Edward Sanborn (---.sm.centurytel.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:15AM

What's remarkable is to consider the manufacturer's margin. If the darn things are selling for 20 bones retail, that means that they're around $5.00-8.00 in volume from the manufacturer. Presumably, that means that the manufacturer's got $2.50-4.00 in raw material costs. I am sure it's heretical, and I will be struck by lighting in a minute, but Overall, you'd have to say that this is a @#$%& of a value.

You commercial builders take heart, though. Your customers don't generally shop for their rods at WalMart, and cost is obviously not an object. Custom Rod builders supply a niche market, just like the Viper and Corvette, but at different levels, a similar market. You don't need a Viper to get from point A to point B, and even the best Viper salesman has his work cut out explaining how acceleration, braking and top-end speed 18% better that a Corvette is worth a 200% premium. This is 'diminishing returns', and there will always be afficinadios who will pay a premium for the look, feel and performance they want.

Look at the market for single malt liquors and say, older wines. Then custom rods look like a real bargin...

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:28AM

Bill I made money helping newbies who screwed up
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.125.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:34AM

What I look at is all the companies that ( Bass Pro ) for instance, that are able sell there rods at a price that would cost any one of us Just For The Blank.
Shure you made money fixing newbees mestacks, then they learn how to do it them selfs!
Your market is gone
Reality is Money Is God! People will buy one of yours, but they will expect it to catch all fish, and work wonders?
Bass fisherman is a very large market. But now with all the advertisement on TV - Saturdays, why should bass fisherman not beleve that the bass rods sold on there are not good rods? They are made buy bass fisherman?
Your custom rod will only get me 5 maybe 10 more casting feet. With all the time and guides you put on to make sure it is the longest distance.
You buy a blank, not even a Top Name blank for say 40.00, now componients, put it together, Make a ( plain Jane ) rod. Your caring time is not worth any thing??
Put ( fishing rods ) in your search, check the Hype and Prices, just like any Bull, there's are all the best, heck I walk on water also, if I can get some people to beleve that?

Now teach those people that are looking for those rods, how to build them, Your Market Gets Smaller??!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster