I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting thread tags is driving me nuts!
Posted by: Al Hammel (---.nas2.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:02AM

I am having a terrible time tucking and cutting my wraps. I have experimented with different tensions while wrapping...

I get two undesirable results (inconsistently...but I can't figure out what I am doing right or wrong...)

The first poor result is the visability of the thread after it is tucked

The second is the fuzzy that sticks out after the cut is made...(I tried the pull and snap trick and razor blade)

Thanks!

PS (thanks to Bob at Custom Tackle...he's helped me get these fly rod gifts for my groomsmen going)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting thread tags is driving me nuts!
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:16AM

Al,
Try putting your loop in a few wraps sooner, start everything as before, but when the thread comes in contact with the wrap, stop pulling, tighten it and cut with a pair of small scissors and pull the tag through. It should now have disappeared under your wrap with nothing showing. Scissors that cut the thread with no tension usually cut clean with no filament residue, double edged razor blades are also sharper than the singles and this can help you also.

Spencer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:18AM

How to do this easily and without fuzzies or nubs was fully covered in a photo pictorial in a past issue of RodMaker Magazine.

First, there are two ways to go about ridding yourself of this problem. One, is to put your tie off loop in much sooner, perhaps as much as 10 to 12 wraps before the end, and then insert and cut the tag end very short - short enough so that when you effect your pull-through the tag end does not come back out of the wrap. It stays buried underneath and there is nothing to cut.

The other way is to pull-through as normal and then pull back on the tag end, opening a small gap in the wrap, then lay a fresh single edge razor blade against the tag end and bring the tag end, under tension, back against the razor blade. This cleanly cuts the tag end and the resulting release of tension snaps it back into the thread gap and disappears. You just burnish the gap closed and no one is the wiser.

This is easier to do than to explain. Thus the photo pictorial on how to do it in the magazine.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:20AM

Al,
Here is a method that I learned from Artie Hebert. I use a tie-off loop made using Power Pro line because it lasts a long time. I make six or severn turns over the loop, pull the loop tight until it barely starts to go under the finished wrap. With a finger nail clilpper, clip the thread very close to the loop and pull through. The thread end should at this time be buried under the wrap and no more fuzzies.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:29AM

Before you go nuts go bananas! Go to the beauty supply store, Sallys, and get a pair of German made cuticle nippers. They are expensive but if you are doing trim wraps and want thread cut close they are the trick. If you don't want to go nuts or fruity just Be Happy and Don't Worry. While you are at the beauty store get a box of Personna Hair Shaper Razor Blades. They are the sharpest single edge blades in the world and are about twice the length of a conventional razor blade. These single edge blades are also much safer to work with without slicing your thread wrapping finger. After the first coat of finish gets hard simply inspect each wrap closely and trim off any irregularities that you see with the Personna blade. These tricks will let you go anywhere you want to go - Nuts, Fruitland or Nirvana!

I am bringing my "Beauty Parlor" to Charlotte to demo the use of this stuff. Check them out at the Builders Booth. One of the sponsors will have a few for sale in their booth.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:37AM

From time to time I have this trouble and I like the idea of inserting my loop earlier and cutting the pull through thread short.Great idea
Ken

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:55AM

All the above mentioned methods work, but you also need to pay attention to your wrap tension. To much tension will case the thread to fray when pulled under causing the little fizzies you mentioned.

Regards

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas8.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:33AM

When all else fails and I have a bit of a tag sticking up, I put a dental pick between the threads, one or two wraps behind the tag, and pull it straight between the threads to pull the tag down under the wraps.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:54PM

I didn't think the nail clipper thing worked until I tried it, and the clippers I used were old used ones and did a great job, so a brand new quality pair would be ideal. I now seem to have worked out the razor way now so I use both. Also Mick's idea always a great way to hide that stuborn one.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:22PM

Stubborn? Someone call my name??

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:36PM

That's what she said!!! OOPs, did I say that out loud??? LOL

Bill in WV

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 12:03PM

I'll second what Bill Stevens said about the cuticle nippers. I tried three different fingernail clippers, including the junk one Flexcoat sells, and not one of them worked worth a hoot. The cuticle nippers cut extremely close and never leave any fuzz behind.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 16, 2005 12:31PM

Normal nail clippers work fine, provided they are new and used only for the thread. The curved blades also fit the blank curve fairly well on smaller diameter rods.

However, good quality cuticle nippers are superb!!! They are so sharp (I always end up brushing the wrap and nicking it slightly), and cut cleanly and very close. Try putting tension on the tag if it's long enough to hold, then clip close. As the thread retracts, it will pull the end in. Burnish and it's all good.

The longer placement/shorter clipping idea is also good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster