I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

messed up good this time
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 06:28AM

I'm building a spinning rod that the blank is gray.I ordered chrome guides and I ordered a medium gray thread to wrap with. Before I started I wrapped some thread on a portion of the blank under the handle area and was pleased with the color it turned when epoxy was applied. Well I finish the rod , epoxy the wraps and am pleased with the final results as it is on the dryer .I get up this morning to find that the thread has turned almost completely clear . The guides look like they have no wrapping on them at all. What went wrong? what do I do now ,short of tearing it down and starting over ? I guess I could color a batch of epoxy gray and paint it with a thin layer... What a disapointment.
Thanks for your time
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: messed up good this time
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.agstme.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:10AM

HI Ken
Did you use cp ? IF not that's what will happen some people like this some as you just found out do not. Hope this helps Marcel

Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.agstme.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:10AM

Hi Ken

Posted by: Sam Douglas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:21AM

Ken,
As marcel stated, lack of CP gives the wrap a translucent appearance. You can use NCP thread and eliminate this. Or use CP.
A lot of people like the translucent look and do this on purpose.
It is not going to affect the fishability of the rod, so, if it was mine I would just use it.

Posted by: Cliif Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:23AM

Hiya, Ken - What happened is that any regular, nylon guide thread will turn translucent when no Color Preserver (CP) is first applied to the thread itself, BEFORE the thread finish (epoxy or varnish types) is applied. Your threads are now sealed in the epoxy, and there is no way to make any CP penetrate into that layer of thread and reverse it's translucence.

The good news is that the thread is now sealed in the epoxy, and this is just as strong and at least as well protected from infiltration as if the CP had been applied before the epoxy. A recent Thread discussed this at length. For the full Post & Replies, see:
Strength difference of wrap with CP versus no CP?
Tim Collins 01-09-2005 11:16AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I know the bad news is your disappointment. But now you can show your Grandson the coolest fishing rod in the county: Grandpa Ken's Invisible Thread Fishing Rod. You can explain the magic to him, and he'll be wanting to make one himself, too !

I'd leave well enough alone, and just put on another coat or two of your epoxy. IMO. Best Wishes, Ken. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:16AM

I don't understand why the final wraps did not look like the test wraps on the butt? I guess that is part of your question. I have done that several times and it made a good test. Did you let the epoxy harden fully on the test wraps?

I guess you could "marbalize" the wraps if you have the latest copy of rodmaker.;

Another way to go is to just learn to like it like it is. I always have liked almost transparant wraps. The new Sage XP's are finished that way.

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:24AM

Bill I knew in advance that the thread would change colors without CP and I was counting on that very thing.But I didn't let my test wrap dry because I saw the darker color I was after while it was wet so I just cleaned off the butt and continued on. Like Cliff said "Papaw" now has a really cool rod
You live and learn or you get bumps on your forehead
Thanks again
Ken Blevins

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:49AM

That's what happened. You did not let the epoxy fully dry and finish it's job I like that look myself

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:41PM

Cliff wrote:
"...and this is just as strong and at least as well protected from infiltration as if the CP had been applied before the epoxy..."

It is stronger and better protected with just epoxy and no CP.

Putter

Posted by: Don Davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 02:38PM

Ken. You have accidentally accomplished what many do on purpose. Many of the very best rods, particularly bamboo use the clear finish. Some new Sages do. If you must, tint some epoxy, or better yet, get some klass kote paint (sponsor) and paint it any color you want.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:19PM

Putter,

That's a matter of opinion LOL!!!!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:44PM

I think Tom's tests on this pretty much confirmed it.

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster