I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing machined cap on aluminum rod tube
Posted by: Kenny Saums (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 03:55AM

Any good ideas on removing a machined aluminum cap from a REC aluminum rod tube? I would like to shorten it a bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing machined cap on aluminum rod tube
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:52AM

Look closely at the seam to see whether it is epoxied on. I seem to recall that some of mine are bonded. If that's the case you should be able to heat the joint and break the bond. I use a small torch to break epoxy bonds on golf clubs.

Now, the situation may be more complicated if any of the components, either the tube or fitting, is painted. Using a torch to heat the components likely will mar or boil any paint that is heated enough to break the epoxy bond.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:17AM

Try looking at the bottom end first. If it has an aluminum plug, you can take something like a broom handle or a piece of pvc pipe that's cut straight on the end, insert it into the tube, rest the other end on a cement floor, and you should be able to tamp the end piece straight out. Cut the tube to length with a hacksaw/bandsaw and file the edges smooth. Insert the plug back into the tube making sure it's straight and tamp it back in with a rubber mallet. I shorten a Sage tube this way.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:05AM

If you have access to a tubing cutter, you can get a much neater and more square edge than with a hacksaw. Although, you have to use what you have. Wrap tape around the tube to function as a straightedge if you must use a saw.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:40AM

For REC tubes that need to be trimmed to length, I put a heavy bolt (3/4" x 8") that I had inside. Put the head of the bolt toward the cap. Put the cap on and turn the tube so that the cap faces the floor. Shake the tube in one quick motion perpendicular to the floor. The bolt will act as a driver and pop the cap off quicker than you can imagine. You can then trim the tube to length adn put the cap back on with epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 09:42AM by Bob Sale.

Posted by: Dan Lanier (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:46AM

Kenny,
If your rod case is too long there are a couple of solutions I would suggest before any attempt is made to remove the cap and collar.
1. Cut the tube from the bottom. REC can sell you a decorative bottom which is simply adhered to the tube with slow cure epoxy. We also have press fit bottoms which can be inserted using a rubber hammer and a touch of epoxy if you wish. Both types of bottoms are inexpensive.
2. If you don't want to attempt any of the above, you could get a piece of foam, cut it to size of the I.D. of the tube and to the length that you want the inside shortened to. Push it to the bottom of the tube with your wading staff.
If it is a matter of overall outside length rather than inside length I would suggest solution #1 above.
There is another method which I can describe to you if you call me at REC.

In any event, good luck and happy angling.

Regards,
Dan Lanier/REC

Date: January 15, 2005 09:53AM

Kenny,
Bob Sales method of removing the cap and collar is the third method I would have suggested if you were to call me. This is a quick method that we often use in our shop at REC.
Regards,
Dan Lanier/REC

Date: January 15, 2005 09:59AM

I should also have noted to make sure that you do this over something soft like a towel so that the cap and collar don't get scratched from hitting the floor.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:02AM

I should also have noted to make sure that you do this over something soft like a towel so that the cap and collar don't get scratched from hitting the floor.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.oro.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:27PM

Ken,

I use a 2 foot long dowel that is 1-1/4 inch thick. Put it inside the tube and shake to knock the bottom cap off. Then cut the tube and put the cap back on with a rubber hammer. Pretty much the same thing as the bolt idea above. Most of the tube end caps are simply pressed on and will come off fairly easily.

Joe

Date: January 15, 2005 02:18PM

REC Rod Cases are not supplied with press fit bottoms so you could not simply punch out the bottom as Joe Douglas describes. Every REC rod case incorporates our exclusive CaseLockTM bottom system to ensure the security of case contents. We have a Case Lock system that is similar to a crimped shot gun shell. An aluminum disc is inserted into the bottom of the tube and then crimped into place.
Joe Douglas is correct that most rod cases are made with a press fit bottom that can be removed easily. REC rod cases are the exception.

Dan/REC

Posted by: kenny saums (24.163.13.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:55PM

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster