I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st Fly Rod Dumb Question
Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:38AM

I have seen many post here about setting up a fly rod, guide placements, static test etc. My question pertains to the ferrules, I have seen many posts about wrapping the ferrules before performing the static test to prevent breakage.

I am assuming the ferrule is the blank itself, my rod is a 4-pc 6wt rod that I will be putting together, these are not the metal ferrules found on some rods? male/female but the blank it self correct? Or am I missing something here. My rod will just be inserted one piece inside the other.

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st Fly Rod Dumb Question
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:40AM

The ferrules are just where the rod joins together - regardless of whether it is the blank itself or metal. What needs to be wrapped prior to putting any stress on the rod (with the static test) is the female portion of the ferrule. Or the hollow portion of the joining ends. From the books I have read wrapping this portion with thread decreases the chance of splitting the female portion because it is pretty thin. The thread just reinforces it. I have built 2 fly rods so far and am working on a third and I have always wrapped the ferrules first. I'm not really sure how important it is but my feeling is - why risk it?
Hope that helps.
Greg

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.236.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:06AM

Fernando , first wrapping the ferrules helps prevent breakage as Greg describes . As far as the fit of the sections , you are right , the 4 sections just simply slide together . I have personaly not had any broken furreles when static testing before I started to wrap them , but why risk it . You also get to see your color choice of thread on the blank before you even assemble the handle. John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:26PM

Thanks for all the help. now I can start working on this one very slowly to my taste so that I can enjoy it this spring. Hope to hit the lakes in upstate NY for some nice fresh water action.

Tight wraps
Fernando

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:38PM

Fernando,

It in't necessary that you apply finish to that wrap. If you end up wanting to put a guide on the ferrule or do trims, etc., just cut the wrap off after testing and redo it.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster