I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 Quick Questions About Metallic Thread
Posted by: Nick Dazer (---.242.177.213.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:38AM

1. I presume they can be used as structural, not just trim wraps. Yes? (i.e. I can wrap a whole rod using only metallic?)

2. Anything kinky about finishing a rod done only in metallics? I saw some previous threads suggesting that metallics do not require CP.

Much thanks. By the way, I was the guy who asked about plastic handles for steelhead/salmon plug rods. I build 3 of them using the slick butts some folks mentioned, and they have worked out great!

Tight (but not too tight) wraps,
-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 Quick Questions About Metallic Thread
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:58AM

1. Yes, provided you use the proper metallic threads (don't use Sulky "Sliver").

2. The only thing that I can think of here is there seems to be a bit more of the bubbles forming in the finish that you'll have to watch. I use metallics pretty much all of the time on guide wraps and don't use CP on any kind of guide wraps.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:58AM

Hi Nick. I remember your previous question, glad it worked out. I just ordered another tuff butt, and a bunch of other stuff and its taking forever to get here, I want to be building it now! (I think I mailed the check last week). I dont have a rod wrapper, maybe thats shamefull or something, but wrapping the metallics by hand I have had some seperation of the mylar off the nylon core. Too much tension or something it doesnt happen all the time. Or maybe I was twisting it. I havent used alot, obviously. Good luck, for sure! Levi

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:41PM

Nick,

When folks ask me about wrapping a comlpete rod with metalics, I tell them it will work just fine but be prepared to use a full year's worth of SOB's on just one rod. What I am saying is go ahead, just be prepared for a lot of agrivation. I use CP on all thread wraps regardless of the type of thread. Lots of people disagree with me on that but tha's is OK.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:19PM

I guess I hear a lot of this, but I've been using metallics for way over 15 years on pretty much everything that I do. I can't remember the last time I've had any troubles with it of any kind.

I hear of the "sheathing" coming loose or parting completely and problems with the tie offs, etc, but I don't and haven't had these problems with these metallics. Don't know if I'm just lucky or what?? It wraps just like normal thread for me and just looks so much brighter. My customers sure love it!!

Putter

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:23PM

I have now wrapped my second rod in all metallic (used Sulky Metallic) and had little problem with either, except that the gold metallic did not want to stick to the end tapes when I was making a butt wrap. For some reason, the other metallic colors I was using stuck ok. The metallics are a little "springier" than regular nylon threads, but you will learn to adapt. If you can do trim bands in metallic, you will find the longer main wraps easier than that. And no CP needed.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (---.242.180.220.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:27PM

Thanks, everybody! I just did the first few guides with the metallic and they came out great.

-Nick

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 04:00PM

I use Gudebrod HT A size metallics on all my saltwater rods, NO color preserver needed or should be used cause it will keep the finish from penetrating the wraps causing a much less stronger wrap.
Never had a problem with 100's of rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:34PM

I use at least 90% metallics on all my rods (with CP) and the only problem (more like a pain) I ever have is when holding several strands together to wrap at the same time, they often kink together.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster