I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA vs. Cork
Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 06:43PM

I have yet to build a rod from the bare blank up, so far I've just re wrapped some.
I'm wondering if there is a specific application for EVA grips as opposed to cork grips.
Are there any drawbacks to EVA instead of cork, and if so what are they?

Thanks,
Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA vs. Cork
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 08:16PM

What are you building? Fly Rod, Stand up Tuna - each has it's place.

Date: January 14, 2005 08:41PM

I'm building 6' to 7' casting & spinning rods. Mainly for trout & redfish.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:02PM

I would think either would work just fine. Cork's advantage is that it is hard, light & feels nice in your hand. EVA is more durable, a little heavier, and is a little "softer" - you can squeeze it.

As much as I like Cork, unless you're willing to spend the money on high quality rings (and a lot of money at that) - it ends up not looking very good right off the bat. Poor quality. EVA looks "factory" to a lot of people, but if you're into colors tehre are several available & if you delve a bit further into teis craft you can come up with some really unique designs.

Date: January 14, 2005 10:44PM

Does EVA interfere with the feel of the bite? Is it easier to feel the fish with cork?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:50PM

I build freshwater walleye rods. This type of fishing is all about sensitivity. I just can't sell rods with anything but cork to these customers; mostly tournament fishermen. Some try them on a trolling rod, but most want cork even on these.

Putter

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:53AM

Larry - I cannot answer since I don't fish where I need to feel the bite through the grip - I watch the tip, feel the line, or watch where the line enters the water. Or the rod straight gets ripped out of my hands on the bite, lol.

I would guess the harder the material, the more "sensitive - but there is no way to measure sensitivity so everyone has their own opinion. I have no opinion on this, sorry.

Date: January 15, 2005 12:01PM

No problem, Billy. Now that I think about it, the trout usually thump pretty hard, and you don't really need to feel a redfish to know he's there.
I'll probably try some EVA grips just to see how I like them.

Thanks,
Larry

Posted by: Geoff Hanson (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:18PM

One more thing to consider is fighting fish. Eva and other "foam" grips tend to twist a small amount in the hand when fighting fish, thus causing you to grip the rod tighter. Might not be a consideration for some but if you are fighting hard pulling fish or fish that require a little longer to land this can cause considerable hand and forearm fatigue.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:58PM

Their are pro's and con's to all of them but I tend to think that most of it is the "good rods have cork" mentality. Sort of like "good fly rods have snakes" Basically fisherman/womwn are traditionalists and don't like change. I don't have the answer to this question but if cork is so sensitive to vibration, why is cork the material most often used to "dampen" or reduce vibration from machinery/tools, etc. and reduce vibration, sound waves, etc? Just something to ponder!

I've never seen a spinning rod user have his hand even on the grip while fishing (hand is on the reel seat straddling the reel) so how much would the sensitivity of the grip mean??

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 06:15AM

Geoff Hanson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more thing to consider is fighting fish. Eva
> and other "foam" grips tend to twist a small
> amount in the hand when fighting fish, thus
> causing you to grip the rod tighter. Might not be
> a consideration for some but if you are fighting
> hard pulling fish or fish that require a little
> longer to land this can cause considerable hand
> and forearm fatigue.

While I don't disagree with EVA giving a little when squeezing it fighting a fish - almost every single heavy duty rod is made with foam grips, and quite a few with Hypalon - which is even softer than EVA & "twice" as heavy. One reason is probabl the diameter of these blanks would have you reaming 90% of the cork ring out, or the fact they will get beat up, or that holding cork with slimy hands can equal a projectile, lol.

Seriously, you have to look at each rod differently, and figure outwhat is the best material available for you & use that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster