I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat repair (putter)
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:30PM

I have a crankbait rod with a broken trigger on the reel seat. Can I cut the trigger off where it meets the reel seat and rod bond one of those fuji replacement triggers or is it possible to cut the trigger off halfway down (just the very tip broke) and shape a new one out of rod bond. For putter if the second option is possible can rod bond be tinted with black testors pigment to color the rod bond to match the rest of the reel seat? What do you all think?

Thanks
Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat repair (putter)
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:40PM

I don't see why you couldn't do the rod bond thing, but I'm not sure how long it will last, especially if you are fishing it hard.

Personally, depending on how much is broken off, I would either reshape what is remaining, or cut the remainder off, and put on a new trigger, drilling both sides for a small dowel as a reinforcement pin.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:52PM

I agree with everything that Mick said; I don't think that Rod Bond would hold up as a partial trigger. It's great stuff, but I don't think that I'd do that with it and expect it to hold up.

I have been going to try mixing colors in the Rod Bond, but I haven't found time to try it. It would be nice on "fore grip-less" rods made of rod bond. The coloring in it would be a nice addition; lots of variables if it's possible and if the colors look good in the Rod Bond. I guess I'm concerned that with the opaqueness of Rod Bond that the colors won't be as brilliant; possibly flat.

I do plan on doing this before Charlotte, that's for sure. Just trying to get all out of the way so I can really concentrate on the things I plan on bringing for the show. Definitely one more reel to do and bring with; more "feathers and marble" samples, too...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 07:37AM

I got rod bond inside of my coffee pot. The heat does not effect it at all. Stuff is plenty strong. On glass??!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 05:52PM

As per Mr. Jesse: Wack the thing in half in the middle of the seat. Split the two halves off. Fit up and internal plug and a new seat. U40 the repair and out the door when the stuff sets: Like new!
I wasted many hours trying to repair seats and re-epoxy loose ones until I tried this type of repair.
This repair can be done in less than an hour.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 07:32PM

Dan: One of the best tools for taking off a reel seat like Bill says (I've not done it but have read a lot about it) is a dremel tool with a cutting wheel (and good eye protection). I use a dremel tool for a lot of things, but not yet for that. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster