I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe shopping
Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:19PM

Hi! There is an ad in my local paper for a lathe for sale. It's an AMT
12x55" w/ 8 chisles and 4" & 8" face plates for 225.00 I've been planning on getting a Jet Mini for turnig reel seats and handles. This AMT seems like it would be quite a bit larger but might be the ticket since I was thinking about turning bowls and vases later on. I was wondering if anybody was familiar with AMT lathes and if this is worth going to look at?
Thanks for your time!
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe shopping
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:29PM

I have not seen the AMT lathe. I have seen other AMT tools and have had catalogs from the company for years.

I may catch some flack from this, but if it was me I would pass on the AMT and the tools. The mainstream importers, Jet, Delta, Grizzly seem to me to produce better tools for the money than AMT.

I know that if you are going to do big work you need a big lathe. But for any work you need a smooth, accurate machine with easy to operate controls, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:49PM

The AMT is probably worth about the asking price. It's not a high quality piece of machinery. In fact, it's probably not at all what you'd want for heavy duty wood turning like bowl work.

Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 03:02PM

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll steer clear of the AMT and keep my sights set on the Jet.

Posted by: Steven Wilson (---.nas10.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.n)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:46PM

The Jet Mini Lathe is a great small lathe and you'll find that you can do some fairly nice bowls on that lathe. I started on a Delta Midi and have since moved up to a Oneway 2436 for bowl and spindle turning - it's a bit overkill for cork grips but hey, what the heck! Anyhow, if you're wanting to turn larger bowls you'll appreciate a fairly heavy lathe; take a look at a Powermatic 3520A, Vicmark, Poolewood, and Oneway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:52AM

i bought a PENN STATE and while its ok, if i had it to do over again i would of gotten on that steve listed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2005 09:53AM

I have a OneWay, and Larry Tysinger just bought one. Yes, they're overkill for turning rod grips but isn't it nice to use a piece of equipment that's accurate, steady and quiet?

If you plan to take up serious wood turning and you can afford it, one of the better lathes will put a smile on your face every time you use it. Otherwise, the Jet, Delta and Frisch midi lathes are exceptional values for the hobbyist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster