I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapper Question
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:01PM

I have been researching power wrappers for quite some time have have been leaning towards the Flex Coat OEM DL747. My two concerns with this wrapper are:

1. Its base construction of fiber board being heavy and not as strong and durable as an aluminum base .

2.It can not be used to turn/sand cork and eva handles.

My second choice is the American Tackle power wrapper.

I have already received positive responses regarding the FC DL747. But before I place my order I would love any comments on my two concerns and the comparison on these two wrappers. Any other comments regarding power wrappers in general would also be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance for sharing you expertise with a new guy. This is a great place to learn!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapper Question
Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:27PM

My comments will fall under the general wrapper category, as I have never seen the ones you are looking at in person.
I have a PacBay Rodsmith, and I really like it.
There are, however, a few things I don't like about it, and I don't know if other wrappers work the same.
One thing I don't like is with the drive belt on either of the pulleys, it is difficult to spin the rod by hand when working toward the tip end. There will be times when you want to spin the rod by hand. A disengage feature would be nice.
Another dislike is it is hard to get the rod to spin at a very slow rpm while wrapping. Sometimes, like when starting a wrap, I like to turn the blank slower than my machine will go, which goes back to turning by hand.
The last complaint I have is there is no reverse. When you are wrapping at a fast pace, sometimes the thread will wrap over itself 5 or 6 times before you can stop it. It would be nice if you could reverse to rotation while maintaining tension on the thread.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but they are all valid points to think about.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2005 11:08PM

Rich,

I don't know where you're from, but if you were not too far away, you might consider coming to the National Rod Builders Show in February and checking all the various wrapping machines out for yourself. All the Flex Coat, Renzetti, Batson and Amtak units will be on display there.

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.consolidated.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:18AM

Rich and Larry. I see where Larry made the comment about reverse. I am not sure there is one out there with a reverse. Maybe there is. The one thing about the DL747 is that the motor has a slip clutch that allows you to spin the rod in reverse by hand. I know what you are saying about the wrap over runs, but I'm not sure I could keep the tension on the thread with a motorized reverse. Also the DL747 and the way it is built, I can take the motor and base it sits on and move it to another bench in my shop and use it for turning cork. I done this for awhile and ended up getting another finishing motor, so now I don't have to move the motors back and forth. I had built my own stands for the blank to lay in as I spun the rod or cork. Since my son has decided to learn the trade, I ended up buying him a wrapper also. Now I have to add on to the shop.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:47AM

Rich,
I bought a DL713 in 1980 and since then, has seen constant use. I have replaced the motor once. I don't use mine to do any sanding. The DL747 will hold up well. At this point in my life I would like to have a Renzetti; not that I need one... but it would be nice to own one. Do what Tom suggests and try before you buy.

Cheers, Ellis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster