I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st butt wrap
Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 08:29PM

I started laying out my first butt wrap using Dale Clemens book.He recommends using a divider to scrip the blank. Wont this weaken the blank?Also wont the scrip lines show thru?I also have Toms book and he uses white ncp for layout but i dont know how that would be done on multiple axis's.What do you think is the easiest wrap for a beginner.It is amazing I think I have bought ever piece of literature on butt wraps and I am still struggling.I think this is something that i need to see first hand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st butt wrap
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:05PM

Sam: I feel your pain. I'm doing my first one also, and am making some progress, but had to abort and take apart my first two tries, the third one is going a lot better. Keep it simple to start. Do a search for "butt wrap" for the last week and you will see some great replies to posts I made, by Tom K, Bill Stevens and others. One of the comments was "nothing beats seeing someone doing it", and I'm working on arranging that. I'm doing an open diamond pattern, but was also told an open chevron might be easier to start with.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:11PM

Sam,
I would suggest a basic diamond wrap. That will give you an idea on what's going on down at the butt and give you a bit of confidence in trying something more involved afterwards.

It can get very frustrating to attempt a very involved wrap only to see in the end after many hours that points don't line up, seams are wavy, gaps and overwraps, etc.

For marking points and such, I use a white out pen. Easy to use and easy to see.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:10AM

The best pen I've found to mark points is the Pentel.

Nothing like seeing someone do it - Tom, do you live in New Jersey?

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 08:29AM

Billy: Wish I did live near you. Nope. Born and raised in NYC, but have lived in N VA for 40 years now. (But the bass are a bit bigger down here.)

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 05:24PM

Ok, I admit this is as cheesy as it gets, but for some real simple spacing for like diamonds or chevrons, I have taken a ruler and made a straight line down the middle of the paper and then marked off the desired spacing on the paper. Then I folded it along the line and cut very tiny holes in the paper. Then you lay this out still kinda in a v along the rod where you want to mark you cross overs and mark with a pentel or china pencil. You will have to adjust it accordingly when you do the 180 degree axis. I just make about 3 or 4 wraps and then I take a straight edge and make sure that all my crosses are in a straight line and measure to be sure that I still am accurate on the spacing.

I know it's cheesy but it works and is pretty accurate if you do it right.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 05:24PM

Ok, I admit this is as cheesy as it gets, but for some real simple spacing for like diamonds or chevrons, I have taken a ruler and made a straight line down the middle of the paper and then marked off the desired spacing on the paper. Then I folded it along the line and cut very tiny holes in the paper. Then you lay this out still kinda in a v along the rod where you want to mark you cross overs and mark with a pentel or china pencil. You will have to adjust it accordingly when you do the 180 degree axis. I just make about 3 or 4 wraps and then I take a straight edge and make sure that all my crosses are in a straight line and measure to be sure that I still am accurate on the spacing.

I know it's cheesy but it works and is pretty accurate if you do it right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster